Backpackable laptops?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have started thinking of carrying a laptop with me on my summer trip to Switzerland. I will be doing quite a few village to hut to hut to village type trips, and am very reluctant to put my "real" laptop in the duffel bag that I will ship. So if I want a computer I will have to carry it with me :eek:

A recent article in the NY Times, Smaller Than a Laptop, but Bigger Than a Phone describes several very small laptops. Has anyone researched those little critters, or better yet have any experience with them?

Thanks!!

Mohamed Ellozy said:
A recent article in the NY Times, Smaller Than a Laptop, but Bigger Than a Phone describes several very small laptops. Has anyone researched those little critters, or better yet have any experience with them?
I have read some good things about the Asus Eee PC, but have no direct experience.

The article describes small PCs. However, I'd be a bit leery of sending them in packed luggage. There are also ruggedized PCs which would be more robust to rough handling, water, etc. These are sold more into the industrial market than the consumer market, but a search comes up with a bunch of hits: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ruggedized+PC&btnG=Google+Search

Don't forget the issues of international electrical power. (Some PCs may already accept 120-240V at 50-60Hz and may simply require plug adapters.

Doug

DougPaul said:
However, I'd be a bit leery of sending them in packed luggage. ...

Don't forget the issues of international electrical power. (Some PCs may already accept 120-240V at 50-60Hz and may simply require plug adapters.
I was probably unclear: I am looking for a lightweight PC so that I can carry it over the passes, as I do NOT want to ship it.

Almost all (if not all) current laptops have 120-240V 50-60Hz power supplies, and I have a bunch of plug adapters from last year.

Currently travelling with Fujitsu Lifebook T-Series. This a tablet pc, which about 8x11, a little over an inch thick. Very light.
Of course I was lucky enough to borrow this one from work.
The downside is that the sd card reader refuses to work and locks up the pc.
Good luck.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I was probably unclear: I am looking for a lightweight PC so that I can carry it over the passes, as I do NOT want to ship it.

Almost all (if not all) current laptops have 120-240V 50-60Hz power supplies, and I have a bunch of plug adapters from last year.
OK.

Then perhaps the Asus Eee PC might fill the bill. I've seen some nice reviews in some of the Linux literature. (It also has the advantage that you can get it with Linux if you wish to avoid M$.) It uses solid state "disk" so it avoids failure prone mechanical disks.

Some reviews:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9947
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005898
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/eee-pc-4-months-later

Of course, one of the others might be good too...

Doug

I've had very good luck traveling with the Dell Latitude X1 for the last 3+ years. It's just under 1" x 12" x 8", 2.5 lbs without the add-ons (CD-DVD drive, extra battery). SD slot works fine. Very rugged, it's taken some abuse. You can buy certified refurbished ones on the Dell scratch 'n' dent site for a reasonable price.

Waumbek said:
You can buy certified refurbished ones on the Dell scratch 'n' dent site for a reasonable price.
Absolutely brilliant suggestion! With a cheap laptop (and the "real" one safely in Thornton) I may well take a gamble and ship it.

Downside is that Dell ships even refurbished computers with Vista ... :eek:

Still waiting for real live experience with the newer mini-laptops.

Chris Bonington toted an early laptop up to Camp 2 on Everest (more likely a Sherpa did) but I don't remember what model

Many geocachers are "paperless" and carry all their info on a Palm or similar, including actual bushwhacking