Backpacks, how many is too many?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there's such a thing as too many, but a couple of years ago my wife convinced me to donate three packs, three sleeping bags and a tent to a local Boy Scout troop.

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! As the local Scoutmaster, I'm here for y'all. I grab gear "for the scouts" and store it in my barn. I really do keep it for the boys but it's cool to see all that stuff up there. We are pretty high adventure; read Death March and the gear gets used. Funny thought, my wife just this morning said buying gear for my son and daughter was fine but how many hammocks do you really need (but they were on sale!).

As for me, an ancient Kelty A4; old and trusted friend, a new Kelty Red Cloud; kind of like a new girlfriend, and a 2500 day pack for overnight peak bagging commando raids (the hammocks). Oh yeah there is also an venerable Kelty B4 from the dump swap shop cause I just like Kelty.
I hate to think of myself as compulsive but when it comes to gear I've just learned to accept the inevitable!
Bob

Sorry not to have read through all the responses, but my first reaction is 'you can never have too many packs, or too much gear!'!

From looking around in my basemnt, guest room, and entryway, I think I may have to change that...:eek:

A few years back I donated a bunch of sleeping bags, packs, stoves and misc things to Tin Mountain Conservation here in Conway. They are a small non profit that works with our local school systems to gets kids outside and enjoying nature. They have summer camps etc... and have different programs for kids and adults through the year.

From taking a quick glance around while trying to get ready for a hike this morning, I would have to say it is nearly time to give another donation! :eek:

Is there some sort of twelve step program for us gearaholics?

I kind of hope not... :eek:

wow..it is always good to come to the realization that you are not alone

I was up to 6 packs..woops...7..but only 6 at one time, spring 2008

1 camelback day..since donated to a friend

1 larger camelback day..seldom use but it does have patches on it

1 kelty external frame that i had for years..hanging on the wall..did the LT with that pack in 81

1 Marmot internal lightweight..donated to friend for AT..good pack..did some AT hiking in NC with that one..he did a couple of hundred miles or so with it

I LL BEan internal..had for awhile..donated to the brother in law so he can carry the nephew's stuff when we hike..one of the good size purple and yellow ones..never really fit me right

1 osprey 35..which is now my 3 season pack..too small for winter so

1 osprey 50..good enough for winter day trips..i don't backpack much anymore

sold on the ospreys..love the features the fit and the amount of other gear lying around

now only 4 packs..but really just the ospreys in active use..nothing else really feels right anymore...