Badlands, Tetons and other Western Adventures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
Well I finally made the big move out west. I'm currently in Portland, Oregon, where hopefully I'll stay awhile. I drove out the scenic way, traversing the east as quickly as possible so I could linger in the Rockies and Western states. Along the way I stopped for some really easy hiking in the Badlands and around Devil's Tower. Then I hit the Tetons for some killer day trips before getting back in the car to drive the rest of the way. I love it out here, and I've already done an overnight backcountry camping trip in Oregon.

Read all about these trips and upcoming ones on my brand-spankin' new website, http://www.jessb.org

Here is the direct link to my cross-country pictures.

Here are direct links to the trip reports:

Badlands
Devil's Tower
Tetons 1
Tetons 2

I'd like to say I'll miss the east, but....I'm thinking I'll be too busy exploring the amazing landscape out here. Come out and visit!

/clap

Wow Jessbee. Big move. *edited, just look at your website. that answers the questions there. I aspire to move out west as well, I just have no clue what I will do for work. Any advice for those of us out east still dreaming. (still working on that when I grow up I wanna be a _____ part).

Last edited:
Jessbee, glad you arrived safe and sound with some new adventures to share. I hiked up Death Canyon last year, and looked at the route you took but we stayed on trail up to the shelf. Headed back in a few weeks, I can't wait.

Are you going to keep us posted on your PNW adventures?

-dave-

Hi Jess -
Glad you made it out safely and real glad you got to get some nice hike sin on the way. Nice to see you liked the music I sent your way - thanks for the postcard and keep us posted on the great Northwest! :)

I also enjoyed looking at your website, and love road tours as well.

One comment re: the Badlands - always a good idea to visit them on the OUT from the East Coast, especially before you see Utah! After seeing Utah they sorta pale ...

Another must-see place as you're tooling along that section of the country is Crazy Horse Monument . It's a lot more interesting than nearby Mt Rushmore, which has been way over-commercialized by Pepsi, Chase Manhatten, et al.

Glad you've had a safe and fun journey. I really like the website. Easy to navigate and eye catching as well. Enjoy the wild west.

Thanks for the comments and well-wishes. It sure is a beautiful country and I'm already planning future road trips. I'll try and keep you all posted on the places to go in the Pacific Northwest.

Wet: I'm still figuring out what I want to be when I grow up, but I guess I'll stick to teaching for the time being. The job market is lousy here in Portland, and it's been hard for me to even find a teaching job.

Dave: Enjoy the Tetons (again)--they were awesome.

Kevin: Yes, the Badlands were lame compared to Utah, but it was worth a quick visit. And I never thought I'd enjoy Mt Rushmore as much as I did. The trick was to get there so early that no one was there and the gift shops were closed. It was spectacular to have the place to myself.

On another note, I just hiked around in the Columbia Gorge yesterday (a mere half hour drive from the city) and checked out Multnomah Falls, some 500-something feet high. It’s a hiker’s paradise out here :)

Envious. You brought back fond memories of the Devil's Tower and Grand Tetons. Best wishes in all your western adventures!

Jessbee,
I spend lots of time trying to convince Easterners that the West is one amazing place. Until I saw the Southwest, I believed that New England was the only place to live.

P.S. Don't forget to change your location. Goodbye Quincy!

Cool, nice pictures... The whole Columbia river gorge is supposedly great for flyfishing, hiking, kayaking, etc..And it's close to Mt Hood, having just returned from that area. Seemed very popular with many of the hotels in that area booked solid from what I hear.

A small hint: There is a taxi depot right behind the REI in Portland that has really cheap gas. I mean it was the cheapest by far out of the stations I saw and the taxis there use it to fill up. It's open to the public even though it is inside this big garage area. I needed gas for our rental and we stumbled upon that, I was wondering whether it was truly open to the public or not cause it sure doesn't look like any gas station I've been too. And then the attendent walked up to us and asked and then I also realized...aha, oregon is the only other state that doesn't offer self-serve, like NJ where I'm from. It was kind of odd to be served at the gas station.

Jay