Bald Mountain, Weld Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Trailhead unmarked on route 156, 4.5 miles south of Weld. There is a shoulder parking area for several cars and a path that is actually the trail, that becomes more defined after a somewhat challenging stream crossing. Lower part of trail is eroded and unmarked. Upper trail is blazed in blue and easy to follow. Trail is rough and rocky down below with water running down the trail, but is not too steep and there is only one minor semi-scramble area. The walk out in the open to the summit is pretty easy, as long as you don't trip while looking at the amazing views.

Special Equipment Required: None. Bugs not too bad!

Comments: Wow wow wow! I loved this hike. After 30 minutes or so in the woods, you break out into the open and it is spectacular all the way to the open summit with 360 degree views. This hike TOTALLY rocks. If you are looking for an easy, but spectacular hike in that area, this is the one! I tried to go to the next peak over (Saddleback, not the one in Rangeley), but turned back when the herd path evaporated and it became a nasty, nasty bushwhack. I was compelled to try it, after seeing its slide and open ridge walk. There are probably more direct routes than the way I tried to do it. Will have to check that out.

Marty

Last edited: