Basin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckrueger

Reaction score
Heading in next weekend to finish up the 46. I need to do Basin and we are finishing up on Colden. My buddy and I have been looking at coming up Orebed and over Saddleback to Basin or up to Slant Rock, Shorey Cut to Basin. It seems I remember some reports of coming down the backside of Saddleback can be a little hairy. Any pros and cons out there? Orebed looks a little shorter, but if it's a nice day that won't matter.

Thanks for any input.

Chuck

ckrueger said:
Heading in next weekend to finish up the 46. I need to do Basin and we are finishing up on Colden. My buddy and I have been looking at coming up Orebed and over Saddleback to Basin or up to Slant Rock, Shorey Cut to Basin. It seems I remember some reports of coming down the backside of Saddleback can be a little hairy. Any pros and cons out there? Orebed looks a little shorter, but if it's a nice day that won't matter
Descending into the SA-BA col from SA can be hairy. Some people are freaked out by it. If there is any early ice or snow, it becomes all the more difficult. Shorey 'shortcut' has the disadvantage of losing elevation gain.

I've only done Basin coming from Haystack -- as part of a Great Range traverse -- but there are things to be aware of either way you go. In preparation for the traverse, I remember reading (possibly here or at Adirondack Journey) that the Shorey Short Cut was a rather difficult trail. We ended up skipping it and taking the regular trail from Slant Rock over to Little Haystack.

The SW flank of Saddleback, however, has some 4th-class rock scrambles that may prove sphincter-tightening, depending on how much you like heights and unroped moves. I rock climb, and I mentioned to my hiking partners at the time that while I was a little nervous going UP the scramble, I sure as hell wouldn't want to come DOWN the scramble, though I'm sure people do so.

(IMO, the cables going up the west side of Gothics would have been better placed on the SW side of Saddleback.)

Hopefully, others that have traversed Saddleback east-to-west will chime in.

J.Dub said:
(IMO, the cables going up the west side of Gothics would have been better placed on the SW side of Saddleback.)
There's prbly some truth to that!!

Chuck - the one thing you left out was if you were overnighting on the trail? Do you have full packpacks on for the hike? Where are you coming from and going to? [ie - I'd rather go in long and come out short]

I hiked from Slant Rock up over Shorey to grab Basin with full-pack. I really liked it and don't remember it being overly steep (and this was fairly early in my hiking days). There are ladders and a few typical ADK trail climbs. Intersting that Tom says there is an elevation loss - didn't know that and not sure where that comes from... as opposed to staying on the Phelps trail to the Range and over? Don't you end up in the same place??

We then headed over SB and down Orebed. I would rather go up Saddleback this way. It's an fully open rockface without advantage of trailside mud/trees to grab. If you have poles, you'll want to stash them before going up -- you need to stay low and use both hands. Commit and go - not a long stretch, but certainly not just a short hop. Again - I didn't know better and didn't have a problem with a full pack other than a bit of a struggle getting up on it and stepping up.

Sounds cool. Congrats on finishing and best of weather. It makes all the difference. ;)

Thanks for the replys so far. I have been down Shorey Cut twice, but have not gone up it. No packs. It will be a day hike from the Garden

I went down the backside of Saddleback last weekend with four others and it can be very interesting. It was not my first time so, hairy can be a choice. I spoke to Nat at the JBL and he said most people go via Slant Rock. It is much easier going up however. Enjoy either way.

Reekee said:
I went down the backside of Saddleback last weekend with four others and it can be very interesting. It was not my first time so, hairy can be a choice. I spoke to Nat at the JBL and he said most people go via Slant Rock. It is much easier going up however. Enjoy either way.

Yeah, but did you downclimb or rappel? ;)

(Nice avatar pic, BTW. I'm prolly still a couple years away from attempting Shockley's.)

Chuck, if you're up on Colden this coming weekend (Oct. 4-5) we'll be sure to wave to you from Algonquin...

I have been both up and down the Southface of Saddleback. If I had a preference of which way to go, it would be UP, as I feel much safer that way. No matter which direction you decide to do the Cliffs, they are challenging, requiring about a 300' climb/descend.
However if I just needed Basin, I would go up and back the Shorey Short Trail, which is no harder than any other Adirondack trail and skip the cliffs entirely. Like Tom R states, this time of year a thin layer of ice can cover the southflank side of Saddleback, making this a more hairy of an experience.

J Dub.
A winter summit on Algonquin. Nice aye? Winter is the best kept secret. Don't tell anyone. We did a winter over Basin then Saddleback with no ladder to be found on Basin at the time...talk about hairy! We down climbed Saddleback last weekend. Happy Trails to you.

When you do Shockley's the hot tip is to do the first pitch of Strickley From Nowhere then link up Shockley's. Twice the fun!

Last edited: