Baxter XC Traverse?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spencer,

thank you...exactly the information i was looking for. i may bother you for those extra pix if you don't mind.

thanks and good luck to you and the others on your trip, it sounds like an excellent trip.

thanks for the jon tierney info as well. and our varying levels of winter camping experience is a concern, appreciate your input as someone with experience.

-20?

Spencer, -20 was a GOOD day the last couple of years, at least over Presidents' Day weekend. :eek: :D

If that's the weekend you're thinking about going, I'd love to be included. Our most recent trips have been climbing-oriented, so a good ski excursion would be a pleasant change of pace.

Last edited:
Take a Walk

Hey Spencer,

Might make sense to walk the Pogy Notch trail this fall to see what kind of a ski route it would be.

Also, do you think would BSP allow us to cache stuff at Russell before Oct 15 for use later in the winter?

cb

I very much doubt they would allow any caches in the park.

I'm trying to get the lowdown from someone who has done it several times before. I don't think Pogy Notch is too much problem. Lot's of people have done this trip before, so I'm confident it's manageable.

spencer

Joining this discussion a little late and haven't read all the posts carefully - so the following may have been discussed - but...

In winter, the rangers do try to keep a snowmobiled "ski" trail open from South Branch to Russell. It follows the hiking trail part of the way, but generally stays down in the swampy sections where the trail goes up on ridges. If the ski trail has been tracked it's a fairly easy ski. I've done the north to south traverse serveral times and only once was the ski trail unbroken (and, boy, was it a pain!).

As for reservations, if you want to stay in the bunkhouses every night, you'll want to make them early as possible. If you don't mind sleeping in lean-tos, you shouldn't have too many problems except at Roaring Brook, where eveything seems to fill up quickly.

The Wass crossing usually isn't bad if it's been cold. However, it can be tricky if there's been a January thaw just before your trip. Despite that happening to us a couple of times, we've always managed to find a way across it, though I do know that one year a group did have to turn back because of unusually high water and warm temps in February.

I haven't done the trip in a few years and would love to join you all if there's room. I highly recommend a layover day (or two!) in the bunkhouse at Russell. There's plenty to do in the area.