Bear Cannisters - Let the circus begin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there bear boxes in Pemi?

I'll be there next month. Are there lockers set reliably (as at Imp shelter) at the campsites? I don't yet own a canister and have a weight problem as it is. I've looked for this answer but, alas, have not found. Bueller? Thanks!

Warren said:
Those with a better history of the Whites than please chime in, but I was under the impression that the Whites did have a bear problem of the sort the ADKs currently have. I thought that the old Camp 16 was closed for this reason (and overuse) and bear boxes were added to the designated campsites.

I think you're remembering the old (over the river, west side) Franconia Falls campground, which had lots of bears. I remember well. I did my very first overnight "backpack" there in the '70s and met some of the "locals." It was not relocated for that reason but for revegetation, I believe. It gets so much use they're probably getting ready to move it again. No problem for the bears to hop back and forth across the river, though.

For those interested in purchasing a bear barrel, Mountain Equipement Coop, www.mec.ca, sells the Garcia Machine Backpacker's Cache Model 812 for 72$ canadian. Which seems to be a little cheaper than I have seen on other sites.