Bear Cannisters - Let the circus begin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
As I understand it, overnight camping in much of the Eastern High Peaks will require hikers to carry a bear cannister. The ADK has a number to rent as does the Mountaineer.
The rental and sales capacity will quickly be used up, particularly on weekends and very early on nice weekends and Holidays.
If you don't want to be caught short, suggest you make cannister arrangement well in advance of a trip to the ADK High Peaks this summer.
There will be many folks who show up at the trailheads who are unaware of the new regs. Many will have packs that can't fit them, or with their food already carefully packed, or the supply of cannisters is gone when people drive in from all over to do overnights.
It would be good for all of us to spread the word in order to keep people from having their vacations spoiled and minimize confrontations with the rangers.

lumberzac said:
Does anyone know if DEC has made this official yet? I tried looking it up one their website, but wasn’t able to find anything.

Zac, I asked this question on another currently active bear canister thread on this site. Rico responded: "I just spoke with the DEC. The "bear canister" regulation is in the process of being approved, with an anticipated effective date of July 1."

It's going to be an interesting summer.

If you visit the Adirondacks a lot it might just be worth it to go out and buy one. This way you dont have to worry about the availability if your renting. Most of us hike with a partner so if you go in halves with your buddy its only half the cost :D Thats what I did. I purchased mine just over a year ago now and have not had one confrontation with a bear.

Adam

Bearvault solo vs. standard capacity estimates?

lumberzac said:
That it will. Thanks for the info. I wish EMS would hurry up and get the new solo bearvault.
http://www.bearvault.com/
Hey, have those of you using the solo version found that their estimate of 4 person-days of food capacity is about right? Or, if you have used the full sized model, does 7 person-days of food seem about right for it? I am just trying to decide between the two, for a cache I am setting up for 4 days food & fuel.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
They fill up very quickly, especially when you consider all items with an odor (toothpaste, soap etc., but not hikers) should be stored in them as well. I think the "regular size" holds closer to 4 person days of food, etc., especially if you like to eat a little something over bare bones (no pun intended).

I fit 5 days of food into 1 bear canister, my bearvault large size, during my Yosemite trip last summer and I still had my Ursack for other smellables and trash. I walked out with about a day worth of food on that trip so I guess 6 days of food would fit in there BUT it is a tight squeeze.

sli74

Zac, Bearvaults link to EMS shows them as having it, but perhaps only on line. To those who already own a Bearvault, how exactly does the lid close? The product detail section doesn't go into it. I would hope it's more than a screw top.

The site also mentions the BV having 'strap guides'. It's not noticable in the photo. I would like to think it's more than the ridges around the middle. Anybody know?

Homemade

My brother inlaw made a canister that survived a bear beating. Are there other homemade designs out there and is there a problem with the officals if one is used?

masshysteria said:
Zac, Bearvaults link to EMS shows them as having it, but perhaps only on line. To those who already own a Bearvault, how exactly does the lid close? The product detail section doesn't go into it. I would hope it's more than a screw top.

The site also mentions the BV having 'strap guides'. It's not noticable in the photo. I would like to think it's more than the ridges around the middle. Anybody know?

It's essentially a screw top, but you have to push down and turn. The strap guides are a problem. The model I have puts them on the "outside" (top and bottom of the canister) rather than in the middle, and the bumps were small enough that the strap would sometimes slip if you didn't really crank down on it. I thought the newer model improved this with higher bumps, but looking at the picture I'm not sure. It looks like they just moved them to the middle of the canister.

Silverback said:
They fill up very quickly, especially when you consider all items with an odor (toothpaste, soap etc., but not hikers) should be stored in them as well. I think the "regular size" holds closer to 4 person days of food, etc., especially if you like to eat a little something over bare bones (no pun intended).

Yes, for a multi-day trip you really have to think through the packing process, not only how it goes in, but what you're likely to need or not need on day one (saving a lot of re-packing at camp). We often dehydrate meals, so we usually have room for some non-food items as well. Freeze dried packages don't pack as tightly as one might think, and use up space very quickly.

The bear vault does have a screw top cap and I bought mine before they upgraded it due to repeated failures and they sent me a new updated cap very quickly once I emailed them.

It doesn't look like the cap is very sturdy but they say with the new caps it should work.

sli74

I know the Adirondack Mt Club is concerned that the demand will exceed the supply in the area. I wanted to get this issue out there in enough advance so you would make other arrangements ahead of time and not drive into the Loj and be confronted with the regulation and no way to take care of it.

PB

masshysteria said:
Zac, Bearvaults link to EMS shows them as having it, but perhaps only on line.
My local EMS has the same one as the one on the EMS website, but they don't have the new BV250 Solo (8.7 in. x 8.0 in.). The older model won't fit inside my Golite pack and there is no good way to strap it to the outside of my pack. The new model should fit inside my pack and still leave space for my other gear.

two common bear canister models are the BearVault and the Garcia

i wasn't crazy about the lid on the BearVault, so i picked up the Garcia (after renting one last year)

i like the way the Garcia lid easily unlocks and pops out, and you can pick up a carrying bag that fits it, with straps for your pack ... i don't think this carrying bag would fit a BearVault

both models are available here, and you can get free shipping on orders over $100:
http://www.wildernessdining.com/bearcontainers.html

someone suggested using a paint can as a cheap alternative, not sure if that'll fly with NYS DEC
http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/29978,-1.php

Last edited:
sli74 said:
The bear vault does have a screw top cap and I bought mine before they upgraded it due to repeated failures and they sent me a new updated cap very quickly once I emailed them.

It doesn't look like the cap is very sturdy but they say with the new caps it should work.

sli74

I did the same thing and got the free upgrade. They also advertise (or used to) that the canister can be used as a seat when closed. It can.

My Garcia fills up fast and for longer trips I have to plan better, forgoing some of my usual "luxuries". I carry extra stuff out of the canister during the day, so sometimes it becomes a problem at night to cram everything in to the canister.

Hmmm......... High Peaks - circus...... Peakbagr, you just gave me an idea! Has anyone done the ADK 46 wearing a clown suit? That would set some kind of Peakbagging record, wouldn't it?

This also might be a great trailhead poster, help get the kids attention - a picture of a clown wearing a rangers cap, backpack, and bear canister -

The Climbing Clown says - "If you plan on camping in the ADK High Peaks region, don't forget your bear canister!" :D

A suggestion

Get the carrying case for the Garcia. Makes it a whole lot easier to strap outside your pack, if so inclined. At least, so I'm told. I don't have one for mine and, thus carry it inside the pack.

I plan on purchasing one soon, just for the flexibility.