Bear Tree?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vote is for a pileated. There are two nesting pairs where I live (Rockburn, Québec - Crossroads of the Galaxy). They will tear apart a dead maple in no time. BTW, the intelligence of beavers is exaggerated, but they might have take that tree down for its bark.

We saw a similar tree torn apart on the Duke's trail at Cardigan. I thought bear too, but one of our party (I believe it was Dave) suggested woodpecker.

Check out the fallen portion of the tree at 1:12 into the video.
Looks a little bit like Mohamed's close up photo.

Shredded Wood

FWIW Looks like bear to me. If the tree is about 8-10" it could support a med. size bear. A close up of the shredded wood appears to be stringy. So it has some integrity left. I have seen several trees like that with bark and wood torn out the same way with bear track nearby. May be after grubs/insects. They can easily hold with one paw and swipe with the other and bite as well. Interesting post and pics. Thanks for posting. Let's see what others can add. Could it be a Fisher ?. I am not that familiar with them.