bears and ADK Islands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrimarc

Reaction score
We are headed to the Saranac Lake Chain for some canoe camping this weekend. We do at least one multi-day canoe trip and the ADK 90 Miler each year, so we are fairly experienced.

Someone in our group asked the silly question about bears and the need to hang/float/canister food while on an island. I have always assumed the answer is "yes" as i know bears can swim, and it also protects our munchies from other critters. When it was brought up tho, it made me think. Is it REALLY necessary for the reasons i mentioned, or am i over precautious? Anyone have experience with "Island Bears"?

Just nosey i guess, since i am sure we will protect our grub one way or another.

Thanks all!

Rob

I have not had problems with bears on the islands, but I still hang my food as there are many other animals that are on the islands that can be a problem. You can also check with the loacl ranger, they are in the NY phone book, about bear sighting in the area you are heading for.

You're Not being too cautious

OK, this is second hand but I know it's accurate because the guy it happened to was a good friend at the time. It was maybe 20 years ago as well. He and his family were tent camping on an island in the Daks. Not sure which lake.
They had their food in heavy metal coolers that were latched.
During the night they were awakened by the sound of a bear totally destroying the cooler. I mean it was shredded. They brought it home to show us.
They packed kids, tents and remaining supplies into the canoes and made a hasty retreat to land at first light. End of camping trip.
So you're not being overly cautious IMO.

Harry

rtrimarc said:
Someone in our group asked the silly question about bears and the need to hang/float/canister food while on an island. I have always assumed the answer is "yes" as i know bears can swim, and it also protects our munchies from other critters. When it was brought up tho, it made me think. Is it REALLY necessary for the reasons i mentioned, or am i over precautious? Anyone have experience with "Island Bears"?
It is not a silly question at all. I haven't confirmed the situation this year, but last summer the ranger at Low's Lake noted what has since been dubbed the "Famous Low's Swimming Bear". The bear would make nightly rounds from one end of the lake to the other, beginning on Goose Neck Island (the long westerly point on the eastern side of Low's Lake proper), swimming to campsites on Pole Island, Frying Pan Island, and then to the multiple campsites along the north shore. The longest distance to swim is up to a half mile. Any campers without properly protected food, and some that was properly hung, received an unwanted visit.