Becca and (Hiker) Ed's Excellent Birthday Adventure Hike (up Chocorua)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
May 12, 2012: Hiker Ed and I led an A.M.C. hike up Mt Chocorua on lesser-used trails to celebrate our birthdays. It wasn’t anyone’s ACTUAL birthday but four of us had birthdays during the prior week so it was pretty fun. We wanted to avoid the Piper Trail if at all possible!!! We still used it a bit to access the loop: Piper, Nickerson Ledge, Carter Ledge, Liberty, Hammond, and Weetamoo. At the end of the day, we enjoyed a nice tailgate party (when upwind of the trailhead outhouse!!!).

The group for the adventure: Lew & Jenny, Terri, Kevin, Guy, Mike, and Paul. I am missing someone but cannot remember his name… that’s what happens when you get old!!!!!

We couldn’t have asked for better weather, which is really a crap shoot since we need to schedule A.M.C. hikes so far in advance. I think last year was a complete washout, but, I might be wrong!!!

The group heading up to Nickerson Ledge Trail:
P1010057-grouponwayup.jpg

Along the ledges – looks like a road but it’s just the rock!!! It’s not the trail either!!!
P1010071-bedrockpathonwayup.jpg

Good view of Chocorua:
P1010094-chocfrommsis.jpg

The ledges – some were not in their comfort zones for several big steps. But, as Mike always says, “C’Mon Folks, this is what we’re training for!”
P1010082-ledges.jpg

Looking backwards:
P1010088-comingupledges2.jpg

View of George along the way:
P1010076-georgefromchoc-fb.jpg

On Middle Sister (Ed is enjoying a well-earned nap):
P1010100-middlesister.jpg

The last scrambly section up to the Chocorua summit – looks like a turret!
P1010107-turrettop.jpg

Once on the summit, Kevin handed out YUMMY summit/birthday brownies (photo courtesy of Terri):
img_4965rev1-grouponsummit.jpg

Descending along the ledges:
P1010113-vastnessondescent.jpg

Guy doing some weightlifting:
P1010122-guyholdingrock.jpg

Mike cooling down doing one of those model poses as water rushes through his hair:
P1010128-mikeswaterhead.jpg

~continued~

AND a bunch of patterns from the day!!!

Rock that looks like teeth:
P1010080-rockteeth.jpg

Some kind of lava-like bubbly rock:
P1010111-lava-likerock.jpg

I was surprised to see several star blast patterns along the trail near the summit: trailbuilding was SO different back then!!!!
P1010104-blastmarks.jpg

And finally, some long scratch marks along the bedrock – pretty cool!
P1010114-grooves.jpg

Hope you enjoy!!! ~Becca

Pretty cool stuff, Becca! Great pictures...I especially like the rock shots at the end. Beautiful views, Chocorua looks like a great hike.

Great report and pics! I am sorry to have missed this one as the hike looks amazing and the company even better. It would have been fun to share a hike with other birthday buds. Maybe next year??? Hope you guys do it again! Glad you had a good time and happy birthday!

Hi All!!

@ow2012 - THANKS!!!! Chocorua is very pretty but the shortest routes get kind of busy!!!

@eddie - THANKS!!!! birthdays suck past a certain age, but, hiking makes them much better!!! :)

@PamW - THANKS!!!! the group was very fun - too bad you couldn't join!!!!

~~Becca

Great account of the day Becca. The pictures are awesome! Closest we've gotten to Chocorua was Middle Sister. Had most of the trails and that summit to ourselves and watched the parade to Chocoura from there. Wasn't very tempting to go over that day. We somehow need to find a less crowded time. Perhaps in the middle of the night or during a thunderstorm. :rolleyes: Seriously, your pictures have me wanting to get up there again soon. What a great birthday celebration for you all. Happy Birthday to all!