Bee Sting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klutz

Reaction score
I can't believe this is the first time I've ever gotten stung by a bee. But it happened yesterday.

My husband has been helping our neighbor build a new dock. Now, we knew there was a bee nest there and it hasn't bothered anyone. Guess what happened was that our dog was around them, doing something, god knows what. I wasn't right there when it happened, but came over just after the fact, not knowing what was going on. Guess everyone had already scattered, as I'm nonchalantly walking over eating a muffin with a drink in hand, then I see the dog, from the neighbors yard, being thrown or jumping in the pond. I say, what's going on? Then my husband says get outta there, just as he does this, I'm walking back to our place through a path, look down for some reason and see a bee on my chest and do the wrong thing.....I panicked, tossed the rest of the muffin and drink and ripped my shirt off. Guess when I crossed my arms in front of me to pull the shirt off, that's when I got stung on my underpart of my forearm. The dog got stung a few times on her butt and my neighbor got stung on the leg. Hubby didn't get it at all. He got lucky.

Now the question is, what do you do for a bee sting while out hiking? I was home, so I put ice right to it and kept that going most of the day. Today my arm itches just a little bit. I also got lucky, it didn't sting me too bad. Part of the reason I panicked so bad, I know that was the wrong thing to do, is that some family members are allergic to bee stings and need to use the epi-pin if they get stung, so I try to avoid bees if possible. So if you're hiking and don't have the use of ice, what do you do?

I don't do anything if I get stung, whether there's ice nearby or not. But I'm not allergic either. It hurts, swells up a bit, but eventually goes away. I've gotten stung countless times. I used to landscape and I'd get stung all the time.

They do have sting pads though that you can put in your first aid kit. They are Q-tips, actually, with some kinda numbing/anti swelling medication on them. I used to carry them for my crew. You break the little plastic seal, the medicine saturates the Q-tip and you rub it on the sting. I've actually used it once and it does help a little with the pain of the sting.

But if you aren't allergic and all you have is some swelling, no need to worry about any of that. :cool:

If it happens on a hike, I use After Bite, as I usually carry that.

You can use it at home too, of course. But, you might get better relief by making a paste with water of either baking soda or meat tenderizer.

Benadryl stick. Good for all stings, bites, plants, etc.

I also carry a few Benadryl caps in the first aid kit to cover any reaction more than just nuisance.

According to everything I've read, you cannot have an allergic reaction to something like a bee sting on first exposure. It may hurt, and it may swell up, but that's not an allergic reaction. On second and subsequent exposures your body may overreact and that's when you can have a true allergic reaction.

For me, that can be anaphylactic shock which can lead to stopping breathing. I haven't had a severe reaction like that in years but I still carry and Epi-Pen (actually 2) and Benedryl. For most people, this isn't needed as they won't have the reaction that I can have. It's a good idea to throw some Benedryl in the first aid kit IMO.

However, most people will just have pain and some localized swelling. They won't need any drugs to deal with it, maybe the after-bite mentioned above. Benedryl will help with swelling, but I wouldn't bother unless it was really causing a problem. Benedryl will make you sleepy so that may be a factor if you have a long drive home.

Yep, if you're not allergic your best course is probably to tough it out like any other minor injury. If you disturb a whole nest, move away as calmly as possible (flailing around is probably counterproductive) and do your best to shield your eyes and mouth.

David Metsky said:
According to everything I've read, you cannot have an allergic reaction to something like a bee sting on first exposure. It may hurt, and it may swell up, but that's not an allergic reaction. On second and subsequent exposures your body may overreact and that's when you can have a true allergic reaction.

For me, that can be anaphylactic shock which can lead to stopping breathing. I haven't had a severe reaction like that in years but I still carry and Epi-Pen (actually 2) and Benedryl. For most people, this isn't needed as they won't have the reaction that I can have. It's a good idea to throw some Benedryl in the first aid kit IMO.

However, most people will just have pain and some localized swelling. They won't need any drugs to deal with it, maybe the after-bite mentioned above. Benedryl will help with swelling, but I wouldn't bother unless it was really causing a problem. Benedryl will make you sleepy so that may be a factor if you have a long drive home.

Yes that is what I understand about getting stung. The doctor has told me that until I have been exposed that there may not be any type of reaction. The thing that scares me the most is that both my mother and brother have a severe allergic reaction if they get stung. So now I think we will add to our first-aid kit......

One more thing, on general principles: check to make sure that the stinger is actually removed. I know you're probably not spending a lot of time ID'ing the species when you're in the process of being stung, but honey bees and some other actually lose their stingers when the sting you, and you'll often see it attached with the venom sack hanging off the sting site.

If I remember right, you can tweeze it off or gently scrape it with something like a credit card. I doubt there are any particular side-effects of not removing one, but it might make you feel better quicker and prevent any further venom from making its way in. (OK, so I grew up with a bee keeper for a father -- but I figured it was worth confirming this: yep, what's important is getting the stinger out as quickly as possible:
About article on Bee Stings. This article suggests you can even pluck it with fingers -- just get it off.

My bet is that they were not bees but hornets or wasps. Bees tend to be very timid. When I took an apiary course the class was in the bee yard once a week for about 2 months. In that time only to stings,one student and the instructor. And the instructor was demonstrating how rough you can be with honey bees before they sting.

Another interestin fact is that each species of wasp, hornet or bee has its own unique venom. Another words you could be allergic to one species but not another.

Also if a stinger is left, do not pull it out but scrape is out. If you pull it you my by accident squeeze more venom in you.

brianW said:
My bet is that they were not bees but hornets or wasps. Bees tend to be very timid. When I took an apiary course the class was in the bee yard once a week for about 2 months. In that time only to stings,one student and the instructor. And the instructor was demonstrating how rough you can be with honey bees before they sting.

Another interestin fact is that each species of wasp, hornet or bee has its own unique venom. Another words you could be allergic to one species but not another.

Also if a stinger is left, do not pull it out but scrape is out. If you pull it you my by accident squeeze more venom in you.

They were actually yellow jackets. It was so quick I don't think it had time to inject much venom in. Right now, it still itches.....

Being wasps, yellow jackets are able to sting repeatedly without injuring themselves (their stingers aren't barbed), and I do believe they'll sting a little more willingly than bees. (I'll pet a bee, but not a wasp.) [Africanized honey bees excepted.] Luckily their sting is much milder than that of the handful of other species I've been unlucky enough to get stung by.

Klutz said:
The thing that scares me the most is that both my mother and brother have a severe allergic reaction if they get stung. So now I think we will add to our first-aid kit......
This conversation may deteriorate due to the medical nature of the advice being given...BUT...if you are adding to a medical kit in anticipation of an actual allergic reaction you'll need a couple Epi Pens. 1 kit comes with 2 tubes and a practice tube. After being stung once or twice a year for most of my life I had my first allergic reaction a few years ago. I now have Epi Pens and benedryl handy, but I also have since been desensitized by an allergist and now receive full dose wasp and mixed vespid injections every 6 weeks as maintenance.

You wouldn't use the Epi Pens if you were stung and only had a local reaction. A full allergic reaction is a completely different experience that ultimately could kill you. Mine started with a very itchy scalp and non local skin swelling. I knew I was having an allergic reaction. By the time we got to the emergency room (about an hour after the sting) my face, neck, arms and hands were so red and swollen I looked like a red Hulk. The bee stung my leg.

A cousin of mine died from a food (nut) allergy. I personally believe Epi Pens and Benedryl should be carried by Head of Household or group leaders if you're more than an hour from emergency assistance, regardless of the groups allergy history, as you never can tell when someone will have their first reaction or to what.

Last edited:
Dumb question: Are Epi-pens available OTC? I have thought about this a few times lately and, as Chip said, started to wonder if I should just carry one in my field bag all the time. I am not allergic to anything more pernicious than a getting a good-sized welt from a black fly bite -- but I travel all the time with little kids and other adults, and can't say I know all their allergies as well as I should.

I have a latex allergic wife, the pens are prescription only in the US.

They are OTC in Canada.

DrewKnight said:
Dumb question: Are Epi-pens available OTC? I have thought about this a few times lately and, as Chip said, started to wonder if I should just carry one in my field bag all the time. I am not allergic to anything more pernicious than a getting a good-sized welt from a black fly bite -- but I travel all the time with little kids and other adults, and can't say I know all their allergies as well as I should.
No, you need a prescription. Some Dr's might give you one if you explained your concerns, most wouldn't have anything to do with it.

OK, thanks QuietMan and Chip.

I would think prescription-only makes sense. It would seem like the potential for abuse is pretty high, if your idea of a good time includes a racing heart, palpitations, sweating, nausea and vomiting, difficulty breathing, dizziness, weakness, tremor, headache, apprehension, anxiety or a cardiac arrhythmia. Come to think of it, I knew a couple of guys in high school who would've thought that was a good time.

A friend of mine stuck herself with an Epi-Pen by accident (she thought she was holding the tester) and she reports that it was a very unpleasant experience.

David Metsky said:
A friend of mine stuck herself with an Epi-Pen by accident (she thought she was holding the tester) and she reports that it was a very unpleasant experience.

Well that's kinda scary. One would hope that it would only be used when absolutely necessary. I do have one and hope to never have to use it. As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything, but when it comes to life and death, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Course I wouldn't live to tell about it. Like I said, it may or may not be an issue with me, but due to family history, I try to er on the safe side.

Steroids

I got stung on a trail with friends a few years back, I think I had 10 stings if I remember, I then went back to the same trail the next weekend with another set of friend and got stung another 3 times (no wonder no one wants to hike with me anymore). I haven't been on that trail since.

Based on this concentrated amount of "venom", I am now allergic at age 43 when I have never been allergic before. My physician has given me a prescription steroid to prevent swelling. My issue is that the affected area would swell up like Popeye's arm to the point of cracking the skin (yuck!!) within 24 hours. The steroids help prevent the swelling.

I keep the prescription in the glove compartment of my car.

All of a sudden, after 40 years of life, I am very fearful of bees. :(

Sure doesn't sound like those were garden variety bees. My dog got stung by a hornet a couple of weeks ago and her entire muzzle ballooned up and her eyes were swollen shut. Scary till she got to the vet! A Benadryl and a prednisone injection later, she seemed OK, but the swelling took more than 24 hours to disappear.

I carry a dose of liquid Benadryl since we ran into some very nasty backcountry bees a few years ago. They were living in the ground on the Lawrence Trail. Those stings took weeks to stop itching.

Benadryl now comes in a dissolving strip form.