Bees on Osseo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clown

Reaction score
During a very recent trip up to the Franconia Ridge area, we came across a sign warning us about bees. It was on the Osseo Trail about 3/4 up Flume, right before the stairs. We passed without incident, and did not see the nest, but I'm sure that doesn't mean they are not there. Just for future reference to anyone else going up that way. I took a photo, but it came out so dark you really can't see anything. Hope it helps.

PHOTO HERE!

Thanx Clown...heading up that way this week. I'll be on the lookout.

The bees have starred in several posts. The most recent ones said that the forest ranger had poured a fair amount of bee killer on each of the two hives.

UNADOGGER wrote:

<<Hornet social chaos..
I find the drone concept interesting. I always thought it was due to dry soil and more disturbance to the nests when the ground is tread upon.[/HTML]>>

My bad, Unadogger; I cannot reproduce the source of that "lore". What I CAN research is that: the increase in attacks is mainly because the colonies are at their maximum annual SIZE (more bugs = more ornery) in late Summer and early Fall. In any case, I don't want to misinform.

Living South is interesting, because the wasps that hang around your house are very laid-back, kinda stupid "mud-daubers". You practically have to EAT them to get stung (answer: no). But up in the APPS, ground wasps are still a nasty encounter.

In Watertown NY, my folks moved out of the house they'd had for 17 years. There had always been stinging wasps outside, esp on the roof; when the buyer inspected, they found a paper nest in the attic space that was more than FIVE FEET in diameter (Can you say "ALIENS" ?) !!

Personally, I feel safer in the woods, on the ground.=^)