Ben Kilham at Tin Mountain Nov. 20th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
Tin Mountain Conservation Center Nature Program
Black Bears of NH with Acclaimed Naturalist Ben Kilham
Friday, November 20 at 7 PM
TMCC Nature Learning Center

Learn about the black bears of New Hampshire with acclaimed naturalist and author, Ben Kilham at the Tin Mountain Conservation Center nature program “Black Bears of New Hampshire” on Friday, November 20 at 7 PM at the Tin Mountain Nature Learning Center, 1245 Bald Hill Road in Albany, NH.

According to New Hampshire Fish and Game, black bears are found in 10 counties in the state of New Hampshire. Some local residents observe their furry neighbors at their bird feeder in the spring, as uninvited guests for leftovers in their trash, or meet up with them while hiking in the woods. Some long time residents are still trying to meet their elusive five to six foot tall, 256 to 330 adult neighbors. Whether you think of bears as a marvel or a nuisance, with such frequent sightings and unannounced visits you may want to learn more about your black bear neighbors from someone who knows them first hand.

“As we learn more about bear behavior, we better understand bear/human conflicts,” Kilham said. “We begin to learn that it’s not a nuisance bear at all. It’s the way people are leaving food around and interacting with bears.” Kilham reveals that black bears are highly social individuals. They have the ability to plan and communicate through both physical and verbal language.

Ben Kilham attended the University of New Hampshire and earned a degree in wildlife management. In the spring of 1992, Ben found himself parenting a pair of orphaned, emaciated, four pound bear cubs. The experience eventually led him to parenting over forty cubs, releasing them back in the wild, and researching and observing the whole life cycle of the black bear. By thinking more from the bear’s perspective, Ben has designed workshops that provide wildlife management with the tools to disarm threatening bear behavior without destroying the bear.

Ben Kilham also discovered an organ on the roof of the black bears' mouth, named the Kilham organ. The organ acts a receptor allowing female bears to teach their young which plants are edible. "The nose is the finder," says Kilham, "but the organ is the identifier."

Ben Kilham has been featured in National Geographic television specials and articles, The New York Times, People Magazine, The Boston Globe, as well as the “Today Show”, Dateline NBC, CBS Coast to Coast and “The Late Show with David Letterman” and many others. This is a great program for all ages. Be sure to tell your "neighbors".

Tin Mountain Conservation Center Nature Programs are funded in part by L.L. Bean and NRCS. TMCC Nature Programs are open to the public and donations of $3.00 per person and $5.00 per family are appreciated. To learn more about Tin Mountain Conservation log onto www.tinmountain.org or call Donna Marie Dolan at Tin Mountain Conservation at 603-447-6991.

I read Kilham's book and heard him speak several years ago at the White Mountain School. He was excellent; his talk added new info (and pictures) to the book material. Although Kilham doesn't seek out the bears--they're brought to him, often orphaned cubs--I worried at first that his hands-on work "mothering" them would de-sensitize them to human presence and make them more vulnerable to hunters and other run-ins with humans. Getting too close to wildlife is not usually good for the animals however gratifying it is to us. I take a dim view of feeding wildlife and charming it into familiarity for photo ops and the like. Some of the cubs that Kilham has raised and released into the wild have subsequently been shot by hunters. But his mother-bear surrogacy seems to have a way of rehabilitating cubs to the wild. I don't know what his success rate is now but I suspect it's high. He's worth listening to.

I've seen Ben speak a few times, and learn something new each time. His enthusiasm for bears can be infectious. I came across one of the bears he had a collar on along the AT on Cube back in the late 90's. It took off into the woods once it sensed my presence. I had no idea they could run that fast!

I've seen Ben speak a few times, and learn something new each time. His enthusiasm for bears can be infectious. I came across one of the bears he had a collar on along the AT on Cube back in the late 90's. It took off into the woods once it sensed my presence. I had no idea they could run that fast!

That's good to hear, Jason.

He's a very good speaker and some of his pictures are amazing. He's worth seeing again and again. Hope some of you can make it to Tin Mountain on Friday for the program.

Hey Chris, thanks for posting!

I will certainly be there!

I heard him speak for Tin Mountain a few years back at GGT and have been waiting to hear him again ever since.

;)

I hope to see you Christine, but I may NOT be there! My Dad had bypass surgery a few weeks ago and I've been going back and forth a lot, trying to help as much as I can with cleaning and caring for the meat rabbits he raises and making sure my Mom gets a break.

I've seen him speak a couple of times and I fully expect to learn something new every time I do so.

PS Have you been to the new building at all, or will this be the first time?

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is recovering and feeling better every day. I also hope to see you there! Yes, I've been to the new building, it is georgeous! I can't wait. I am bringing a crew of Wild Things along with me, grabbing a bite to eat first somewhere if you want to join us. Cafe Noche maybe, of perhaps China Chef... Will let you know! :)

Ben Kilham at TMCC CANCELED

Bad news all; Mr. Kilham had to cancel this. He had a minor accident last week and he has to have surgery at the end of the week. I'm sure we will have him back as soon as we can. Actually, I just got word we will try to re-schedule this soon. I'll keep you all posted!

Last edited: