Best Route to Hough

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
I'm about to leave kansas and hope to be on the trail in a little more than a week. I'd appreciate any information on trail conditions, and the best route to Hough, as well as recommedations for using the Loj or UW for hikes to Marshall, Redfield and Cliff. Thanks Much- Schatz

Get up on the Dixes ridgeline. You can b'whack Hough all by itself, but there are slides and steep terrain to deal with on its west side.
Climb Macomb and head north, or Dix and head south, either way will run you right over the top of it.
Bring water if its been dry.

PB

One of my best hikes of a couple of years ago was up to Dix/the Beckhorn and then across the ridge to Hough. It's like nothing I'd ever seen before: a completely wooded knife-edge. I don't know how those trees hang on. After Hough, we descended to the Hough-Pough col, then down to Lillian Brook where we commenced to crawl over and under at least ten thousand blowdowns. The path was just visible enough. My New York friends promise the route has been made easier, but it was a blast, and what a thrill to literally burst out of a thicket on to the trail!

Hough

If you take the Dix to Beckhorn approach, the herd path is behind the rocks towards Hough. Look carefully, the path is there, but easily overlooked.

You're right about that, except for dogs

RTSpoons said:
If you take the Dix to Beckhorn approach, the herd path is behind the rocks towards Hough. Look carefully, the path is there, but easily overlooked.
The first time I climbed Dix, I took a friend's lab, Addie, to hike with me. I was pretty new to hiking and intended to hike only Dix. As we were heading off Dix, the path didn't seem right to me. After a few minutes descent, I realized we were on the path to Hough and not the trail. I made the mistake of following Addie, and when we retraced our steps, I saw that the trail was much more obvious, but maybe not for a dog!