Best Sources for forecasting White Mt. Weather

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waumbek said:
Ditto on Fairbanks Museum/VPR's "Eye in the Sky" as a good bet for western Whites weather. The forecast is VT-oriented but most of what happens there often drifts here. For the eastern Whites, it's probably less reliable.
Another vote for "Eye in the Sky". Prior to 7AM it's a bit generic, but about 7:20AM you get the first detailed report - their recreational forecast with info on 2K, 4K and 6K' is most helpful.

Before I leave, I check these sources:

NOAA (Twin Mtn)

Regional Radar so I can see the fronts/systems:

Surface Map of US from Weather.com

Mt Washington Summit Forecast

Another NOAA site for Mt Washington - this one, coupled with the info above, is extremely useful as it shows the hour by hour weather for the last 24 hours. This one's also useful when some miscreant tells you they summited Big George earlier in the day and the winds were 137mph ... you can see for yourself.

And finally, if the weather's going to be cruddy, I look at the road conditions here.

That's alot of information, but often times you're planning the next hike with your buds a few days hence, so knowing the short-term as well as the long-term forecasts is helpful.

Last edited: