bibler bivy tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE WINTER WONDERER

Reaction score
I am in the market for a bivy sac and was thinking the bibler tripod bivy would suit my needs fairly well. anybody have any experience with this bivy. any pros or cons would be greatly apprecieted.

Thanks.

For a bit more $$ you can get a nice 2 man tent that weighs the same. More room for gear...more comfort..more protection

bibler

I have the Bibler bivy, not the tripod, but one with a hoop so that it doesn't lie on your face. I also have had a couple of one person tents and love my bivy the best. I've had it and used it regularly since 2001. It took me through the whole AT and has hiked at least 270 miles with me every other summer. It's a great product. I'm in Nashua. PM me if you want more info or want to see it. I had to order mine online- couldn't find it at any store to check out.

I use a small homemade "tarp-tent" held up with one of my hiking poles. It only covers the upper half of the bivy.

I use a small homemade "tarp-tent" held up with one of my hiking poles. It only covers the upper half of the bivy.

I've had a bivy for for several years now, 2.5 lbs, and have yet to use it but carry it just in case. I also carry a light wt tarp, together the combo is over 3 lbs. I've always found a lean-to or slept under the tarp. I like more space if I can get it.

I have to ask myself what am I saving if I carry a tarp with my bivy? So now I sometimes carry a home made hammock in place of the bivy.

I do bring the bivy along for winter camping under a tarp for extra protection just in case of unexpected cold or wind.

I'm glad I have the bivy but wonder what sense it makes now if it's raining?

I've used the one without the tripod, the other one. Loved it. I have had the Eldorado Tent for many years, and it is by far the best made tent I have ever seen (with the exception of the old Moss tents...which are just too heavy).

I don't know how they compare now that they have been purchased by Black Diamond, but Bibler, to me, is the top piece of equipment on my shelf.

I bought the Bibler hooped (not tripod) bivy and then the next generation of tents from Black Diamond (Lighthouse) came out a year later. They weigh about the same (if not less) and give you much more privacy if your camping around others.

Its good for keeping bugs off your face in a lean-to, and it makes a good back up for winter hiking, but mostly it stays unused.

Bibler, to me, is the top piece of equipment on my shelf.

Ditto. I use this in the shelters as it takes up basically the same amount of space as a sleeping bag. I've easily used it over 200 nights, and it's in perfect shape.

Did the bivy thing for a few years but have converted to a tent for the space. I use a Bibler Eldorado with aftermarket carbon poles. Weight = 4lbs.
My pack weighs 2.5 lbs empty (Wildthings) Total of 6.5lbs - less than most packs alone. Bombproof area for kit and cooking.