Big changes coming on Loj Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish they'd leave us the old parking lots (even for a fee) so we can access the high peaks without having to deal with their nonsense and limiting our access to the trails. Can you imagine not getting a parking space because someone is in their new store trying to pick out a postcard of a mountain they never even intend to climb?
This is a very good point and Upper Works illustrates it well. The road to UW used to be pretty rough but now it's freshly paved. Now, a lot more people drive up it, park and take a short walk to look at the Hudson or stroll up to the lake.

A perfectly legit and worthwhile activity but it results in less parking for hikers.

People who take shorter walks are hikers, too. They just operate at a different level and approach their activity in a different way than do members of the uberhiker crowd.

G.

Good point on our perspective, Grumpy. I've been hiking for only 8 years. Before that, making the 5 or 6 hour drive to the Adirondacks was a special once-a-year trip, just driving all the way up the road to Upper Works was a big deal, and a hike up Cascade was a tormenting experience! Come to think of it, I had a lot more money back then..... :rolleyes: