Big changes coming on Loj Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little Rickie said:
It's starting to sound like a resort and tourist destination.

Isn't that what Adirondack Loj is now?

G.

BlackSpruce said:
Here are more details of the construction plan:
2008:
· VSF completed, begin transfer of functions from HPIC.
· Begin conversion of HPIC to camping support building.
· Begin expansion of campground.
· Design and planning for pavilion for campground and education use.

2009:
· HPIC conversion completed.
· Campground expansion completed.
(change total from 37 to 50 campsites)
· Pavilion started and completed.
· Design and planning for new maintenance facility.
· Design and planning for conversion of maintenance to offices.
· Design for expansion of Trails Cabin.
· Design for Tyler renovation.

2010:
· Maintenance facility erected.
· Former maintenance building converted to offices.
· Trails Cabin expanded.
· Tyler Cabin converted for rentals.
· Begin infrastructure planning and design for dedicated Education building.
· Design and infrastructure planning for two lodging cabins.
· Design for additional staff housing.

2011:
· Build and complete one lodging cabin.
· Build additional staff housing facility.
(Build seven-person seasonal staff cabin)
· Complete infrastructure planning and design for dedicated Education building.
· Design for renovation of Manager’s Cabin to volunteer facility.

2012:
· Build and complete second lodging cabin.
· (Guest Cabin #1 (15 beds) /Guest Cabin #2 (15 beds)

· Complete conversion of Manager’s Cabin to volunteer facility.
· Begin construction of Education facility.
· Design and infrastructure for ADK Inn lodging facility.

2013:
· Education facility completed.
· Begin construction of ADK Inn lodging facility.
· Design of Adirondak Loj conversion to ADK Loj dining facility,

2014:
· ADK Inn lodging facility completed.
· Adirondak Loj conversion started.

2015:
· ADK Loj dining facility completed.

This seems VERY aggressive at first sight IMO. It would be nice and also prudent from an expediture and impact standpoint if they were taking this phasic approach with assement at the completion of each phase. Upon a phase completion it should be determined wether or not each phase had the desired effect; and therefore going forward is it neccesary the next phase is actully needed. It looks as if they are taking a more Macro view (Chainsaw) rather than disecting needs on a Micro (scapel) level. To begin and also hinge improvements on the completion of a new HPIC is IMO environementally and fiscally irresponsible. Is the rational to improve environemental education with a new HPIC but at the same time further develope already built on land ? Seems a bit dichotomous. There is a stated overflow problem already along with decreased fiscal income. So we take away parking for dayhikers and build more lodging for overnight guests. Interesting agenda not to mention money that could be better spent elsewhere IMO. I would like to hope that if this all does happen that there is some sort of fiscal windfall in the coming decades that is going to serve the ADK State Park and not just line the pockets of the ADK Club.

skiguy said:
This seems VERY aggressive at first sight IMO. It would be nice and also prudent from an expediture and impact standpoint if they were taking this phasic approach with assement at the completion of each phase. Upon a phase completion it should be determined wether or not each phase had the desired effect; and therefore going forward is it neccesary the next phase is actully needed. It looks as if they are taking a more Macro view (Chainsaw) rather than disecting needs on a Micro (scapel) level. To begin and also hinge improvements on the completion of a new HPIC is IMO environementally and fiscally irresponsible. Is the rational to improve environemental education with a new HPIC but at the same time further develope already built on land ? Seems a bit dichotomous. There is a stated overflow problem already along with decreased fiscal income. So we take away parking for dayhikers and build more lodging for overnight guests. Interesting agenda not to mention money that could be better spent elsewhere IMO. I would like to hope that if this all does happen that there is some sort of fiscal windfall in the coming decades that is going to serve the ADK State Park and not just line the pockets of the ADK Club.

This doesn't make staying at the Loj or at it's camp ground attractive to me at all. It saddens me. The ADK is not a commerical pursuit as far as I am concerened. My opinion. It should be the preservation of the rustic and challanging enviroment that raw nature offers for those that dare. Not to be made easy like the thrills of an amusment park.

Sorry but the ADK is looking for tourist dollars or just the simple pursuite of dollars. This sounds like the vision of one or a small group of people.

It would be interesting that if someone that kner how to do it set up a pole on the forum.

Little Rickie

This is the ADK's reply thru John Million, Adirondack Mt Club Ass't Executive Director and North Country Director:

"Rather than attempt to provide the great amount of background information available on the subject to any single group we have decided to provide it on the ADK website.
All of the information posted on the ADK website has previously been made
public at ADK Board of Directors meetings and interested parties can
research the many years of work that have gone into the plan and make their
own informed decisions. No doubt this topic will be of interest to both ADK
members and the general public and feedback from the outdoor community will
be valuable. Towards that end, we have posted an alternate email address
dedicated to gathering public and member comment.
The HLP Master Planning info is posted under ADK news on the ADK website
home page and also on the Conservation Issues page. You may link directly to
it at http://www.adk.org/issues/Heart-Lake-Master-Plan.aspx.
The email address set up for input is [email protected]."

Peakbagr said:
This is the ADK's reply thru John Million, Adirondack Mt Club Ass't Executive Director and North Country Director:

"Rather than attempt to provide the great amount of background information available on the subject to any single group we have decided to provide it on the ADK website.
All of the information posted on the ADK website has previously been made
public at ADK Board of Directors meetings and interested parties can
research the many years of work that have gone into the plan and make their
own informed decisions. No doubt this topic will be of interest to both ADK
members and the general public and feedback from the outdoor community will
be valuable. Towards that end, we have posted an alternate email address
dedicated to gathering public and member comment.
The HLP Master Planning info is posted under ADK news on the ADK website
home page and also on the Conservation Issues page. You may link directly to
it at http://www.adk.org/issues/Heart-Lake-Master-Plan.aspx.
The email address set up for input is [email protected]."

This is very imformative thankyou for making the contact and for the valuable links!

Thank you for the links, Peakbagr. I have just sent along an e-mail voicing my objections and displeasure.

Little Rickie said:
This doesn't make staying at the Loj or at it's camp ground attractive to me at all. It saddens me. The ADK is not a commerical pursuit as far as I am concerened. My opinion. It should be the preservation of the rustic and challanging enviroment that raw nature offers for those that dare. Not to be made easy like the thrills of an amusment park.

Sorry but the ADK is looking for tourist dollars or just the simple pursuite of dollars. This sounds like the vision of one or a small group of people.

It would be interesting that if someone that kner how to do it set up a pole on the forum.

Little Rickie
I'm interested enough in this that I will start a new thread...

Thank you, Little Rickie. :) I don't expect it to do any good, but one never knows.

When I get a little time later in the week, I plan on reiterating my concerns via snail mail. I've always wanted a chance to be quoted in Adirondac... ;)

Anyone know what might be happening with South Meadow road this Winter?

Last winter I saw it wasn't plowed out so there is limited parking at the intersection...

Jay

What a shame

ADK putting camping needs over hiking needs . . . how bizarre. I just wish they'd leave us the old parking lots (even for a fee) so we can access the high peaks without having to deal with their nonsense and limiting our access to the trails. Can you imagine not getting a parking space because someone is in their new store trying to pick out a postcard of a mountain they never even intend to climb? And could it really be true as they stated that more people are interested in Heart Lake and Mt Jo than going into the wilderness area, this all just seems so wrong? It's gotta be a money thing. This is disturbing. :eek:
T

ADK putting camping needs over hiking needs . . . how bizarre. I just wish they'd leave us the old parking lots (even for a fee) so we can access the high peaks without having to deal with their nonsense and limiting our access to the trails. Can you imagine not getting a parking space because someone is in their new store trying to pick out a postcard of a mountain they never even intend to climb? And could it really be true as they stated that more people are interested in Heart Lake and Mt Jo than going into the wilderness area, this all just seems so wrong? It's gotta be a money thing. This is disturbing. :eek:
T

I wouldn't worry too much about it - last I saw it was on hold anyway because a) they couldn't agree who was in charge, and b) how the funding would be shared.

What I would worry about is the new Whiteface ski trail that now crosses thru and across the hiking trail...that ought to add a little excitement to the Wilmington Trail.

I don't think that's correct, WinterWarlock - I hiked the Wilmington trail about a month or so ago, and while the top of the lift area was visible through the trees just below the trail, I didn't see any evidence of ski trails crossing the hiking trail. Everything appeared to be below the trail.

Interesting... I read something on one of the Whiteface forums that there's an old lodge up there, the Porcupine Lodge, just off the hiking trail in that vicinity, and that there was some interest in restoring it, at least as a warming hut or something. Maybe this cutting is to get access to that? My impression was it was uphill of the hiking trail, so it somewhat fits.

I don't think that's correct, WinterWarlock - I hiked the Wilmington trail about a month or so ago, and while the top of the lift area was visible through the trees just below the trail, I didn't see any evidence of ski trails crossing the hiking trail. Everything appeared to be below the trail.

I was up there on Saturday, and the cutting goes clear across the trail. JoeCedar was there as well, and mentioned that the cross trail cutting was all new in the last five weeks, when he was up there last. If you look at the Whiteface resort page, and the new trail map, there appears to be a loop at the top of the new runs, and that is what seems to now cross the trail.

I hope you're right, but the clearcut area definitely goes to both sides of the trail now.

Scott

So are we going to be able to drive into South Meadow for some carbo -loading or is the "White Zone" not for loading and unloading this Wnter. Last year I thought I heard it was a Town Road and they just got lazy as far as plowing?

No, I've passed the remains of that old lodge on the herd path to Esther - they seem to be pretty well removed now. This is something I was unaware of and although it's obviously pretty old, it's still standing. Look about 3/4 of the way down this thread - http://forums.skiadk.com/about1889.html. Anyway, now I'm really curious to check it all out for myself...

No, I've passed the remains of that old lodge on the herd path to Esther - they seem to be pretty well removed now. This is something I was unaware of and although it's obviously pretty old, it's still standing. Look about 3/4 of the way down this thread - http://forums.skiadk.com/about1889.html. Anyway, now I'm really curious to check it all out for myself...

Hey - didn't know about that forum, so thanks. If you get back up there, let us know what you find. Maybe they'll have stop lights installed by then if the hiking and ski trails really do cross! :D