Big Slide conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCTDave

Reaction score
Does anyone know the trail conditions on Big Slide...both direct route and via Brothers? Haven't been up in the ADK since Nov. but planning a day hike tomorrow probably ascend via Slide Mountain Brook trail and descend via Brothers.

Overall how are these trails in the winter...will the ladders be usable? I've only done this peak in the summer. Snowshoes required or will the trails be sufficiently broken and packed? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Dave

Not Big Slide precisely, but New Year's Eve Eve (aka the night of 12/30) had about 6" of fresh powder in the town of Jay and probably more since I left before the snow stopped. There is also another snow maker on New Year's Day supposedly so you should have plenty of snow to play in...

Jay

I climbed Big Slide 12/24 before we got a more snow (and a lot forecast for Jan. 1). The ladder near the top was already outta sight and the trail was packed powder. It will be the same now, only even deeper. Definitely use snowshoes, don't posthole and ruin it for others.

The trail up Slide Bk is much less used than the Brothers approach, and a lot less interesting. It's OK for descent, but I usually descend by Brothers too for the great views and shorter trek.

Jan. 1 Update

For the next hiker: Lots of people up there this past weekend. At least 2 hikers did Big Slide from the Garden via the Brothers on Friday, and descended to JBL; they camped with me at the Ore Bed Brook LT. It snowed and blowed that night, covering the trails again, but when I hiked out yesterday, the trail to Big Slide from the JBL area was again broken out.

Last edited:
Jan. 11 Update

Back again. I hiked Big Slide yesterday. Up and over the Brothers, and down to the Phelps (Northside) trail. Snow conditon was good throughout the hike, but the big meltdown made the six stream crossings on the descent a bit of a wet challenge! Spring conditions exist down low, including the Northside trail.