Bird and tree reference books

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
I seem to be hiking slower these days. I'm sure that it's not age, it must be a change in gravitational pull or global warming. I'm paying greater attention to my surroundings, particularly birds and trees. Can anyone recommend guides that I can carry with me to help justify increasingly frequent pauses in my hikes in New England?
Thanks.

I like Audubon's Field Guide to New England. Compact, single guide, covering most of what you will encounter here in the northeast. Little weak on fungi, mosses, lichen, but covers the more abundant. Real good tree, wildflower, mammal, insect etc sections.

"The audubon society field guide" is the definitive reference book for trees,but make sure you get the east coast edition,not the western one.Learning how to identify hardwoods without leaves can be tough at first,but stay with it the rewards are immense.Another factor to consider is how several types of trees have different names for them.For example,a few weeks back I was in New Castle nh and saw a yellow poplar which is also known as a "tulip tree".The age of a tree can make identification very tough also.Some trees are cousins,very similar in appearance,but not the same immediate family.For example;Black cherry trees look like birch trees,but are member's of the Rose family.

Thanks for the advice. I've just updated the list that I'll send off to Santa.

I grew up on the Golden Field Guides' Birds of North America. It's conveniently sized for the field and relatively compact. I've found that its drawings are more helpful for ID than the photos that you find in other guides, such as the Audobon, but YMMV. (Note my comments are based on the older, blue-covered edition.)

As others have mentioned, the Sibleys are outstanding, and are generally considered to be the definitive guides. However, the Guide to Birds is a large book and not designed for carrying around in the field. For that, look to the Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America.

Audubon's Field Guide to North American Trees, Eastern Edition is excellent. Lots of pictures illustrating leaves, bark, even flowers.

For birds, I hear them far more than I see them. A good CD of bird calls/songs is useful. They are even available as apps for smartphones, but you may need cell connection to access them (or download the whole set beforehand). Cornell's website is fantastic for bird calls/songs, http://macaulaylibrary.org/ .