Black Canyon Of The Gunnison N.P.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Durango Colorado in late May. I'll be doing some hiking and backpacking in the San Juan National Forest and Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park. Has anyone been out that way that can suggest things or places I should be sure to see or do while I'm there? Suggest day hikes or 2 day backpacks? I'll be staying in Durango/Montrose area when I'm not camping. (I've already visited Mesa Verde on a previous trip.) I've got about 10 days to be out there.

Hey Garry -

You probably won't be able to venture into the San Juans much due to the abundance of snow still around in late May. Although, you may get in some good snow climbs if you start early before daily melting begins and avy danger increases. I wouldn't go alone, though, if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Black Canyon is astounding. If I ever go back, I would take a couple days and get down to the river level itself, not just look down from above. There are a lot of little jaunts that give you interesting viewpoints all around the National Park.

If the snow permits, you can do some nice 2-3 day loops in/around the West Needle Mountains, just across the road from Durango Ski Resort. Getting down to the Animas River is beautiful in and of itself, without having to go up into the higher peaks. IIRC, most of the loop hikes going to/from Highway 550 and the Animas stay below 10,000 feet, so snow shouldn't be too much of a problem in late May.
Trails Illustrated map #140 is your best bet. #141 would be good to have, too.

There are also some good day hikes out of Telluride and Ouray that I think would be appropriate in late May, although I'm not as familiar with those.

Last edited:
Jeep Roads

Unfortunately I haven't much experience hiking this area. However, there are a number of great off roading experiences to be found in the San Juans, especially around Ouray and Silverton. I don't know how accessible they will be in May - we encountered snow at the highest elevations in July. Animas Forks is a little ghost town settlement outside of Silverton and Yankee Boy Basin outside of Ouray were pretty accessible in the summer but require a jeep or similar. There are Jeep tour companies and rentals you can contact for the info but they may only run in the summer. We just got a map and some advice and winged it. I would not try to go through from Ouray to Telluride - these routes are pretty hairy even in the summer. Have fun - one of my favorite parts of the country.

The two rims of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison are rather different--both are worth a visit. The drive around to the east is quite scenic. (The drive around to the west is shorter, but nearly as scenic.)

Some other nearby places that might be worth a visit:
* Dinosaur NP
* Colorado NM
* Canyon de Chelly NM
* Arches NP
* Canyonlands NP
* Natural Bridges NP

Info on all of the above can be found at: http://www.nps.gov/parks.html

Doug

Re the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, their website is helpful:

http://www.nps.gov/blca/planyourvisit/hikinginnercanyon.htm

Note that there are no trails into the canyon, and (free) permits are required. I visited the South Rim of the Park last summer. The short trails from that side were good for about a half day. It's a cool spot, though... deeper than the Grand Canyon! :p

As for the San Juans, you'll be in "Hardrock 100" territory, with which I am intimately familiar. Beautiful trails abound! A couple of favorites are the Bear Creek Trail and the Horsethief Trail, both out of Ouray. I'd recommend you purchase either the Trails Illustrated or the Drake Mtn. maps of the area.

Durango has trails all over the place, most notably IMO, the southern terminus of the ~480 mile Colorado trail. Perhaps your hardest decision will be which trails not to do!

If you DO plan to get higher, you might consider crampons and an ax since snow usually lingers well into July.

Have fun! :)

GoG!!

How the heck are you?!
We spent one night in Black Canyon back in September. It was super hot and sunny and we were looking for some shade....so we were told to camp at East Portal (the small camping area at the bottom of the canyon) All I can say is.........don't camp there! It was nasty, dark, gloomy and you would miss an incredible sunset! We tented up at the South Rim campground, besides the massive amount of deer everywhere, it was a good night! We didn't hike in the park at all, but I might have an extra info phamplet laying around here with lots of info on it that I'd be glad to recycle!

If you are up for a drive the loop from Durango up 550 and back down 149 was georgeous.

Michelle said:
GoG!!

How the heck are you?!

If you are up for a drive the loop from Durango up 550 and back down 149 was gorgeous.

Michelle!!
I'm good and I hope you are too. Thanks for the info, I have a feeling I'll be getting there a little early in the season but it's the only chance I have to go. It looks like a pretty good choice of destinations based on what everyone has said so far.

Garry G. said:
I have a feeling I'll be getting there a little early in the season but it's the only chance I have to go. It looks like a pretty good choice of destinations based on what everyone has said so far.
May is a good time to go there. It is a hot and dry area. And you can beat the summer crowds.

Last time I was there was April or May.

Doug