Black Flies, Mosquitos and the poor dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
OK....so we put on 100% deet and cover everything from head to toe but what about our four legged friend....how do we protect the dog from getting eaten alive? Or do they care?

I know my poor dog gets eaten alive in my yard if we stay out, which we can't seem to do for very long right now. Just wondering what to do and what is safe short of making a little bug suit that he'll be made fun of for wearing! he he

You can try Frontline or something similar. I'm not sure how well or if at all it keeps flies and mosquitos away.

I wouldn't spray DEET on the dog though.

Heat is probably a more serious issue for the dog than bugs.

Frontline and Frontline Plus prevent ticks and fleas. The label does not specify any other parasite. I think there is a spot-on product that is supposed to be effective against mosquitos. I don't remember which, except that it was not one that I was willing to put on my dog.

Depending on how thickly coated your dog is, you may need to apply repellent only to certain areas. With my dog's fluffy coat, he only gets bitten on the face, insides of ear flaps, and belly, so those are the only areas we spray.

I am reluctant to use DEET in those areas on a dog, since those are all areas they can lick, thus ingesting the DEET. A few years ago I found an herbal product that is supposed to be almost as effective as DEET against mosquitos. It's Bite Blocker, made by DEET. In my admittedly unscientific trials (for example spraying one arm with DEET and using Bite Blocker on the other), it seems to work as well but needs to be applied more often. I apply a thick coating on my palms, then wipe them on his face, ears, and belly.

Thanks, I'll try that. I didn't want to spray the dog at all...I don't even like to spray us! His coat isn't very thick but it seem that his belly is where they really get after him. I'm concerned about hiking the ADKs with him if they bugs are as bad as they say.

Don't use Deet on your canine. I find that anything I attempt to apply to my Golden promptly gets licked off, and you don't want them ingesting that. My dog has a very thick coat, which makes it difficult for the biting insects to reach her skin, but not impossible (sadly). The worst areas for her seem to be her eyes - blackflies will actually land on her face and crawl to her eyes. They bite the area surrounding her eyes, and I will have to wipe her face off w/my hand every few minutes to keep them at bay. It's awful :( - I've actually seen them come crawling out of her eye, as they will crawl inside the eyelid and bite till her eyes practically swell shut. This seems to mainly occur at camp....while hiking they rarely touch down and stay, fortunately. Make sure you wipe your hand across your dog's eye area every few minutes when sedentary and in highly infested areas, as it must be terribly painful for them.

We've tried everything we can bring to mind to thwart their blood sucking efforts. I rigged up a headnet so I could attach it to her collar, and while very effective, my dog just doesn't want any part of something hanging off of her face, even while just laying there. We've used Avon's "Skin so Soft" applied sparingly to her snout and neck, and it doesn't seem to help too much. It may deter mosquitoes to some degree, but the blackflies seem to view it more as a condiment. We take along a bandana, roll it up, and tie it around her neck. We then apply Deet on the rolled portion (so it's not in contact with her skin), and that seems to work to some degree. While it doesn't eliminate them completely, it seems to cut their numbers 50% or so, which is pretty significant. Hope this helps you and your four legged friend.

Dugan said:
Frontline and Frontline Plus prevent ticks and fleas. The label does not specify any other parasite. I think there is a spot-on product that is supposed to be effective against mosquitos. I don't remember which, except that it was not one that I was willing to put on my dog.
K9 Advantix claims to repel fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. They have the commercial with the little yellow lab pup writing home from summer camp. Anywho...
I've used it for the past 8 or 9 months on my siberian and it seems to agree with her. It comes in a small dropper and get's placed on the dog's back from neck to tail once a month. She's outside 24/7, and so far no bites this year. After last weeks hike she had hundreds of mosquitos swarming under her belly when we stopped for a break, but nothing would land on her. The only probelm is it is toxic to cats so its use is not recommended if your dog shares the house with a cat.

Dugan, is this the stuff you weren't will to put on your dog? If so, how come. My vet (who I trust) said it's as safe as Frontline and the others.

Is there a flea collar out there for dogs that will repel mosquitos? Then you could take it off when it isn't needed.

Smitty

We have a four year old choc. lab that joins us for every adventure whether it be hiking/camping/canoeing etc... We use Frontline for fleas and ticks, and she gets an annual shot for lyme disease prevention. As for mosquitoes, black flies, and the gigantic horse-flies (or are they deer-flies...I never know!) we have tried to products with some level of luck. One product is from Pet Smart and is a pump-spray that we use on her belly and then spray some on my hands to get her ears and more sensitive spots. It is all natural. The other product we get from the vet and it comes in a white bottle (can't remember the name of either product right now b/c they are at home) and it is a gel. It too is all natural. We don't use deet b/c we cannot keep her out of the water.

Sara, if you could find out the names for me that would be great.

After reading alot of the posts, I'm afraid I may have to make plans for my little baby until after the bad part is calmed down. I don't want him eaten alive.

Diane,

Not sure about the dog, but you can avoid using DEET-based products on the kids, etc. according to the latest Consumer Reports Mag.

There is a new non-deet repellant that they recommend that is as good or better at repelling bugs, based on testing they have done.

I can't remember the name of it, but check out the June issue and you'll see the item about it.

Another advantage of it is that it is much easier on fabrics, nylon, etc.

cb

O.K. I just found one of the products online at Petsmart. It is one of the products we have used, and it kinda smells nice too! It is called Miracle Coat and it's 9.99 a bottle. (It comes in a black spray bottle) If you go to their website it's under the flea and tick remedies for dogs! Good Luck!

Smitty77: that may have been it. I prefer Frontline because it is supposed to be the safest for other animals, including humans, to be exposed to. I would especially avoid anything toxic to cats, since we have 3 of those, and two of them include the dog in their grooming services.

Repellent collars are basically worthless. They're good for the area near the collar only but that's about it. I would imagine the effectiveness would be about the same as the bug repellent wristbands made for humans.

I wouldn't try Miracle Coat. It's effective ingredients are tea tree oil and citronella. I've read a few studies showing that these are basically ineffective when tested on humans. If it doesn't work for us, it probably won't work for our dogs.

Last edited:
Dugan said:
Smitty77: that may have been it. I prefer Frontline because it is supposed to be the safest for other animals, including humans, to be exposed to. I would especially avoid anything toxic to cats, since we have 3 of those, and two of them include the dog in their grooming services.

Repellent collars are basically worthless. They're good for the area near the collar only but that's about it. I would imagine the effectiveness would be about the same as the bug repellent wristbands made for humans.

I wouldn't try Miracle Coat. It's effective ingredients are tea tree oil and citronella. I've read a few studies showing that these are basically ineffective when tested on humans. If it doesn't work for us, it probably won't work for our dogs.

We have had luck with Miracle Coat. Otherwise I wouldn't suggest it! In addition, we always bring our tent along. Even if we don't intend to use it ourselves it provides comfort and shelter to our dog when she's tired out and easy prey to the insects.

Keeping bugs at bay

After hiking with as many as three Labs over the years, I have used two products very successfully. They are: PetGuard by Virbac, a lotion to be rubbed on bite prone areas, and Flys-Off by Farnum Pet Products. Flys-Off comes in an aerosol spray can. Neither products contain DEET, both use Pyrethins. A "good" country Vet will stock one or the other of these products. My dogs have a large fenced in area accessible by a doggy door. I live in the White Mountains with the WMNF as my abutter therefore we have lots of voracious insects. Whenever I forget to treat the dogs before I leave for work, they have angry welts on their undersides when I get home. When treated, they seem to go unbitten. I use the spray for short exposure times, and the lotion for all day treatment. I also use Pet-Guard on myself after advice from the cute Vet-tech I bought it from. It works.

Dalraida said:
After hiking with as many as three Labs over the years, I have used two products very successfully. They are: PetGuard by Virbac, a lotion to be rubbed on bite prone areas, and Flys-Off by Farnum Pet Products. Flys-Off comes in an aerosol spray can. Neither products contain DEET, both use Pyrethins. A "good" country Vet will stock one or the other of these products. My dogs have a large fenced in area accessible by a doggy door. I live in the White Mountains with the WMNF as my abutter therefore we have lots of voracious insects. Whenever I forget to treat the dogs before I leave for work, they have angry welts on their undersides when I get home. When treated, they seem to go unbitten. I use the spray for short exposure times, and the lotion for all day treatment. I also use Pet-Guard on myself after advice from the cute Vet-tech I bought it from. It works.

Ironically I was at the vet yesterday for our dogs rabies vaccination and they suggested using the Virbac product. After reading the numerous warnings I decided against it. Maybe I'll rethink that if you have had good luck, I am just afraid that our dog would lick it too much. Do you know what "Pyrethins" are exactly? Is it as toxic as DEET? Thanks for any info!

In addition...to all of you that hike with dogs, I also discovered a new product at the vets office - Purina Performance Bars! Essentially, they are like CLIFF bars for pups! Apparently some of the clients have had really good luck with them with their hunting dogs. High protein and high calorie for extended exercise. So now when we stop for our granola bar break, Chela can have hers too. I bought a whole case!

pyrethrims

As I understand, Pyrethrims are a natural component of the Marigold flower. They have long been used as insecticides and repellants. Our military issued bug spray used it as the major insecticide component.

Assuming that what people are calling "pyrethins" are actually "pyrethrins", here's what I know. You should do your own research. Mine is a couple of years old at this point.

Pyrethrins are derived from the chrysanthemum family. They can be highly toxic to cats. They have been weakly linked to illness and death in other sorts of pets. Pyrethroids, of which permethrin is one, is a synthetic pyrethrin. These again have similar health risks as pyrethrins. Both are insecticides. Both are designed to be toxic to the nervous system. These are recommended for use where humans are highly sensitive to insect bites, or in high insect areas. For this use, it is recommended to apply it to clothes only, to wear the clothes for as little time as possible, and to bathe as soon as possible afterwards. If this is the recommendation for use on a human, I wouldn't want to put it on my dog.

As far as I'm aware DEET is less toxic than pyrethrins or pyrethroids. The main reason I prefer not to use DEET on my dog is that I cannot find any data regarding it's safety on canines, or health risks if consumed orally (keeping in mind that a dog would consume only small amounts by licking themselves).

Thanks for the great info. I know now that I made the right choice not purchasing the product. We'll just keep an eye on her and provide a tent for comfort as needed. She doesn't seem to be bothered when on the go, just at the end of the day when it's time to relax. I generally hike with a light weight sarong (sp.) and will lay it over her when she's relaxed, that at least keeps the critters from her belly.

Re: permethrin safety
Dugan said:
For this use, it is recommended to apply it to clothes only, to wear the clothes for as little time as possible, and to bathe as soon as possible afterwards.
Permethrin is inactivated (as an insecticide) due to a chemical reaction with something in human skin. Thus there is nothing to be gained by putting in on skin. (I use deet on skin as needed.)

There are cautions on the bottle about swallowing, inhaling, skin contact, and eye contact. I apply it outside and wash my hands afterward. Also poisonous to "fish and other aquatic organisms", so don't use it on your pet fish or frogs.

Doug

Last edited:
Dugan said:
As far as I'm aware DEET is less toxic than pyrethrins or pyrethroids. The main reason I prefer not to use DEET on my dog is that I cannot find any data regarding it's safety on canines, or health risks if consumed orally (keeping in mind that a dog would consume only small amounts by licking themselves).

Here are some data:
1. My first SAR dog, a GSD, used 100% DEET with no ill effects over an eight-year working career. I applied it to his ears as needed, mostly to keep deerflies off him. I also put some on my hand and rubbed it on his forehead as well to keep them away from his eyes, taking care not to get it in his eyes. I watched for any bloodthirsty freeriders on his face and plucked them as needed. His coat was thick enough to avoid problems on the rest of his body, except occasionally on his belly when I had to use DEET in the warmest months. Until he manifested the lymphosarcoma that eventually took him at age 10, his biggest problem in life was having to wait for me in the mountains.

2. My second SAR dog, a GSD, has used 100% DEET in same fashion, for the same reasons. He's nine years old, and he's still faster than I am. (If you didn't look at his teeth, you'd probably have a hard time guessing his correct age.)

3. The CDC recommends DEET for humans (along with other products.) You can find a very helpful discussion at their Web site and the EPA's site. I don't know about any animal testing other than my own examples above.

In short: DEET works for my dogs, and I've seen no ill effects. Not using DEET doesn't work as well, from what I've seen of other handlers using other products.

Regarding DEET, I have used it on my dogs as well for some time with no ill effects. I have noticed that the places they are most bothered by insects are the face, ears and hindquarters. I usually apply a few drops of 50% Deet to the tip of each ear, the base of the tail and the dogs collar, and it seems to do the trick.

Regarding pyrethrins, google it, you'll find links to info on animal seizures caused after application. It may be safe for 99.99% of the pet population, but I'd rather not take the chance. I am sure my dogs would agree.