Blake-Colvin-Nippletop-Dial??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a day trip, and am working on my 46. I was thinking of doing the Colvin-Blake hike, but Dial and Nippletop look so close once I'm back in there. Has anyone done the four of them in a day trip? I was thinking of doing a loop, going up the trail over Bear Den Mountain to Dial and Nippletop, then through Elk Pass to Colvin and Blake, then backtrack, and return via the Gill Brook Trail.

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions? Is this too much for one day?

They are doable in one day.

There are a couple of designated camping areas up the Gill Brook trail from the AMR road. If you stay there, that loop should be no problem. I'm not sure if it is a true "loop" though. I did Colvin and Blake, came back over to do Nippletop and Dial, then came back over Nippletop to camp. About ten hours, as I recall.

I have heard of folks staying at Elk Pass, which would shorten the hike considerably, but I'm not exactly sure where the designated camping spot is there.

OOPS

Sorry Crazymama, I have to learn how to read.

A day trip for that loop would be tough. I hiked in to Dial from the AMR in 5 hours round trip, and, while I'm no speed hiker, I didn't stop once. To do all four as a day trip would make for a pretty long day, I'm thinking maybe 12 hours. Looking at my notes from the time we did the four, my guesstimate would be to go over Colvin to Blake from the Gate would take 5- 6 hours, at a relatively steady pace, a little longer to come back over Nippletop and Dial via Bear Den.

My times were based on that hike I mentioned in the prior post, and it was done in a steady rain.

For what it is worth.

I had a base goal for that same trip of Dial and Nippletop and then Blake/Colvin after. I started up towards Blake/Colvin at about 3PM and turned back. I'm very glad I did! I'm not fast; but I'm not slow. Although I did need crapons for that trip and it was raining rather solid coming down Nippletop and heading for Blake Colvin. You may be faster and have a smoother coarse....
I usually set a 'base' goal(s) which are ones I must complete. Then I plan on some stretch goals that I can add along the way if things are going well and I'm up for an additional challenge!
Good Luck!

CrazyMom - I backpacked in on the Gill Brook trail and stayed at the first campsite area just into State Land and off the AMR.
The next day we started at around 8AM and did all 4 peaks in a very long and tiresome day. We climbed Colvin & Blake and got back to the summit of Colvin for lunch.(I went back to my 46er notes from August '96).

We got back to Colvin Junction by 1PM and then got to the summit of Nippletop by 3PM. After about 1/2 hour lollygagging, we went over to Dial proper (I think the 3rd bump IIRC) and started back to Nippletop as the sun was starting to go down. It was dark by the time we got to Covin Junction and we needed headlamps to get back to the camping area. 12 hours in all.

My notes also mention I was so tired at Dial, I daydreamt of bushwacking straight down to the campsite rather than go back around via Nippletop, or just hike out to my truck at St. Huberts, Via Bear Den, sleep there and hike back in the morning and get my stuff.

Hope this helps
Rick

Hmm...this is sounding like too much for one day. But I didn't realize there was a campsite up the Gill Brook Trail (or possibly at Elk Pass). Maybe I'll camp, and do it over two days.

Thanks for the info!

you should be able to do it in a day - start early - - - go in from st huberts - walk the road to the gill brook trail - take it over colvin & blake - come back to the elk pass trail to nippletop - go over dial and bear den (leach trail) and back to st. huberts (about 16.5 miles) it took me about 10 hours - if you start early it should be no problem since you have about 15 hours of daylight - if you are slow you can do it the opposite way and have the road walk at the end (easier in the dark) i prefer the road walk in the morning since it could seem to go on forever when you are tired.

Last edited:
It mainly depends on your conditioning. This is certainly a doable day hike if you are accustomed to longish hikes and are disciplined to pace yourself over long hours. I first did these four peaks with my 13 year old daughter back in '93. My recollection is that it took us about 13 hours, including a rather long and enjoyable stop on Nippletop. I have also done these four peaks in under 6h30m. I would imagine your time will be somewhere in between.

TomH--We're talking about meer mortals here. 6.5 hours is almost unreal. I believe it took me about 10 hours. But, I could be mistaken, it was a good 8 or so years ago; I was also in better shape then.

Lyle,

You hiked with me, and you know the pace that I hike. I did both hikes seperate (Dial/Nip & Colvin/Blake) in two pleasant and reasonably short 7-9 hour relaxed trips. Had I attempted to lump them together it would have become a deathmarch (much like our Haystack hike). Doable, certainly, on a long killer day.

These peaks (well, all but Blake anyway) deserve to not to be rushed. Besides, while you're in there you certainly want to make sure you visit Indian Head and Fish Hawk Cliffs nearby. They are worth it. You'll never have time if you attempt to sqeeze all 4 in a day.:D

Thanks to all...

I've decided to do it in two days, with an overnight at the Gill Brook campsite. I'm looking forward to testing my new backpacking gear, and I won't have to rush. I'm in the slow end of the hiking spectrum, so this would probably make the most sense for me.

I did those 4 peaks as two separate day hikes, on different weekends, a year ago April. They were pleasant hikes (except Blake!), but trying all four in a day from St. Hubert's would be tough... bring lots of batteries for your headlamp.

I did this hike last August the same way Ken did it above. I think an early start is a good idea.(but everybody has there own preferences) At Elk Pass you can decide if you want to contine to do the four or do two. I remember this being over 7000 vertical feet for the hike.

>>I remember this being over 7000 vertical feet for the hike.<<

wow - after i read your post i thought i was pretty tough (7000') but after checking with the "topo software" i found out it was only 5708".

This discussion made me curious, so I ran the route through my Topo! software and this is what I got:

16.83 miles (from the parking area off Route 73)
6,370 feet of elevation gain (and loss)

I have found that Topo! often underestimates distances (due to the fact that it can't account for the sinuosity of the trail), and hence, I usually multiply the distance I get by 1.1. This gives me distances closer to those stated in the guide book. In this case, that would yield a distance of 18.5 miles as the worst case scenario.

John