Bonds Traverse Nov 19/20 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
Wanted to get the Bonds and Zealand done before winter truly set in so I persuaded Mr GlennS to accompany me at least partway on my quest. We left my car at the Zealand Rd entrance and then headed over to the Lincoln Woods trailhead. We set off at 8am under cloudy skies but warmer than expected (mid-20's?). Zoomed right along Lincoln Woods and then headed over the Franconia Brook bridge to the Wilderness trail. I was trying to get used to my 35/40 pound pack and thinking in the back of my mind whether I would make it to Guyot Campsite and how wise an idea was this anyhow? Even the small brook crossings were hairier than they should have been due to ice-slicked rocks but we made it to Bondcliff by 10am and the real climbing began. A dusting of snow on the trail meant that footing was good as we climbed though brook crossings were a little challeging due to afore-mentioned ice rather than water level. By the time we reached the switchbacks, the sun had broken out and I was feeling better about the hike (though my pack seemed to increase in weight the higher we got - I'm sure there's a scientific explanation).
As the trail turned to the west along the south face of Bondcliff we hit blowdown hell. Luckily, Glenn had the presence of mind to bring a pruning saw but it was very time-consuming as every 50/100 feet we came across a pine blocking our path. I did a lot of "overseeing" as Glenn did a lot of cutting.
Unfortunately, the blowdowns meant that Glenn reached his turnaround time before we got within a mile of the summit so we said our good byes and I soldiered on which meant a lot of crawling along the trail - oh, the indignity!
By the time I got to the 15 foot ledge below Bondcliff summit, the sun was shining bright, there was hardly any wind and the sky was blue - perfect conditions for a ridge-walk. And what a joy that ridge-walk was. I got to Guyot campsite as the sun was setting, quickly set up tent (I have a thing about the open space of a shelter - am I the world's only agrophobic hiker?), and ate Ramen as the temp dropped. After gazing at the beauty of a crystal-clear night, I was tucked up in my bag by about 6pm (there wasn't another living soul at the campsite). I'd like to say I then read some inspirational thoughts by Thoreau, etc, but, instead, I read my cheapo airport thiller and dropped off.
The next morning I polished off West Bond on another stunning weather day before heading over to Guyot where the wind had picked up, pushing me over to Zealand and an uneventful trip back pass the hut and down the long, long, long road to my waiting car. All-in-all, a wonderful experience and I'm now within three of the Big Prize (there is a prize, right?)

Orsonab said:
I'd like to say I then read some inspirational thoughts by Thoreau, etc, but, instead, I read my cheapo airport thiller and dropped off.

Sometimes a "cheapo airport thriller" is exactly what we need to be reading!

As for the prize, it's these types of trips that are the prize. And as a few others said: then, there are other lists! :D

Great Trip report. I plan on doing pretty much the same route to finish up my 'prize'. I have 6 left before the 3 Bonds. I will be dragging my tent along as well, and quite possiably a not so respected piece of literature! But certainly one that will get me laughing. I hope that when I go the stream crossings will be frozen over and snow covered.
Best of luck for the rest of your hikes before the prize, and for all those ones that 'don't count'.
By the way, agrophobic, afraid of vegatation? I am not one for open shelters, but mainly because I hate having the mice checking out my gear and critiquing my camping style.
Good luck on the last few!

sounds like a great trip and you got some great weather! i hope when i hit west bond i get some great views - when i did bond the mountain was socked in, couldn't see 6 feet in front of me...

thanks for the trip report! :)

yam said:
sounds like a great trip and you got some great weather! i hope when i hit west bond i get some great views - when i did bond the mountain was socked in, couldn't see 6 feet in front of me...

thanks for the trip report! :)

Yam - you should join us New Years day to grab West Bond.

B & G:
would love to join you guys (and actually meet you in person!!) but i'll be in tennessee over new years.
next time! :)

I have to admit, there is nothing like being on Bondcliff on a beautiful day with no one in sight. It is one of my most favorite spots on the planet.

YAM - have fun in TN!

MadRiver - We so agree with you! We finished our NH48 on Bondcliff and plan to finish our Winter 48 there as well, hopefully in early March.

Orsonab
Can you give an idea of the snow cover on the ridge and on the way out through Zealand? Thanks

J

Awesome job Andrew! I swear that your pack looked heavier (and bigger) with each step upward. I was impressed that you could carry that thing at all. We'll have too try it again in Winter. This time, I'll take point and get the brunt of the snow white washes. :eek:

Jasonst said:
Orsonab
Can you give an idea of the snow cover on the ridge and on the way out through Zealand? Thanks

J

About an inch or two of packed snow and that's it - in fact the ridge has even less with no ice. There was some ice on the Twinway down from Zealand and around the hut but nothing careful footing, poles and StabilIcers couldn't handle. Of course, I believe the forecast is for snow tonight and tomorrow up there so all this could be old news.

By the way, NO PRIZE!!??? I was rather hoping a bikini-clad woman would pop out of the summit of Garfield with a big cardboard cheque - I will now have to evaluate this whole hiking thing.

And did I say Agrophobia? I meant, of course, agoraphobia - although there is something about a butternut squash that frightens me.... :)

Brilliant!

Andrew, I'm glad you had success! And Glenn, it was very nice of you to clear the trail. :) I wondered how you two were doing and I'm sorry I wasn't able to join you - but it was a gorgeous day on Osceola where my friend bagged his 3rd 4K. Thanks for the report!

Doctor, You see. I am afraid of butternut squash.
No, it lacks a certain something...
Vegetation, maybe, those downed pine and spruce traps can be treatcherous.
But squash, nothing that an oven, butter and some brown sugar cant take care of.