Boots for winter hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deematic

Reaction score
:confused: Are plastic boots needed for winter hiking in N.E.?
I'd like some input from you guys and gals.

I wouldn't say they're needed, although they do make the logistics of winter multi-days much easier.

With plastics, once you set up camp, you can get out of the shells and walk around in the liners. Then you wear them in the sleeping bag and the next morning, you're not sticking your feet into frozen masses of ice.

In winter time you gotta have outer boots and liners for the reasons explained above. But, you don't absolutely need plastic boots (= $$$). I went out overnight to the Sanatanoni's last March with a pair of ankle height fairly rigid Sorels that I normally wear around town and they fit the bill perfectly (cost = CDN $150 , meaning a cup of coffee and a donut in US funds). They worked perfectly on the steepest inclines we encountered. Nota bene , we snowshoed. If you'll be skiing you'll need ski boots.

A few outdoor stores in North Conway, NH were selling used / old rental plastic boots. I couldn't find a pair that fit but you may want to look into it.

I highly recommend these. http://www.sportiva.com/products/mountaineering/k4s.html#

I bought these last year and have found them to be warmer than my plastics and much less clunky. Instead of plastic liners I now use down booties around camp.

I've used them on multi day trips and have had no problem with moisture build up. Before you get going in the morning, put a hot water bottle in each boot to loosen them up.

If you still want a removable liner check out the Nuptse. It's the same boot but with a liner making it a double boot. Could be over kill around here.

winter boots

i honestly don't think plastic boots are necessary for hiking around here. sure it gets cold, but they are not that comfortable for going long distances and are really for high altitude mountaineering. there are several companies that make a good insulated boot. i have a pr of vasque artics that are good for weather up to +10 and are great with snowshoes. i also have a pr of merrell winterras, which for the price are awesome winter boots. great with snowshoes and multipurpose crampons; vibram sole, waterproof and rated to like -20 if not -40 (can't remember). i wore them all last winter and as you know, it was a brutal winter. my toes were toasty warm and for the price you can beat em (reg around $150 but sometimes you can get them on sale for around $99). don't let the price fool you these boots are warm and are built to last.
ck out at merrell's site: http://www.merrellboot.com/p/7673/sg/399/s/0/fs/0/merrell_winterra.htm
but price at shoebuy.com /first time buyers get a price break:
Men's Merrell Winterra M $137.95 less 10 or 15%.
http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_s...-94.73957-402.80690/sh_B_Merrell/p_3/st_13009

Last edited:
If you're going to be winter camping, you really need the double boots so you can take the liners to bed with you. The plastics are heavy and expensive, but they take a rigid, step-in crampon which is great. Sorel-type boots are much cheaper, but they're so soft and floppy, I'm not sure I'd want to trust them to hold even strap-on crampons in agressive situations.

Since I don't camp, I went with Columbia Excellerators (about $120) which are a single boot rated to -40. They're warm, waterproof and much firmer than Sorels. I use a strap-on crampon with them.

If you are just dayhiking, regular boots will be fine. I have used my goretex Lowa's down to -10 and have not had a problem. Also, remember that your dayhiking boots probably weigh 2 lbs or so, and the Koflach plastic boots weigh 4 - 5 lbs a pair. Much like cement shoes!

This last winter was my first experience with winter hiking and my Salomon SM Lites with a medium liner and heavyweight sock combo kept my toes toasty. Gaiters also help by keeping the lower leg warmer too.

I had one incident when I lost the feeling in the toes on one foot for a few minutes but that was due to lack of attention (got to keep wiggling) while I messed with the camera on the summit of Pierce on one of the coldest days of the winter.

I am sure plastics are the best choice for overnights but for day hikes I will stick with my SM Lites.

Bob

Just from my experience, I don't use double-plastic boots for climbing, only for backcountry ski trips.

I use a Solomon boot, which is all leather and leather lined. It has a plastic rand at the bottom, making them fully step-in crampon compatible.

I also use vapor-barrier liner socks, so the inside of the boots stay dry. I hike only in my VBLs...no other socks needed.

I don't have a problem with them freezing, as the outside stays dry (there isn't alot of moisture around in the dead of winter), and the inside stays dry due to the VBLs. Therefore, they don't freeze overnight. I switch to some down booties for the campsite (with a built in mukluk/gaitor and a closed-foam pad inserted for full deluxe camp-comfort).

The double-boots are certainly nice, but I personally didn't think they were comfortable enough for my tastes. I love to hike in leather (boots), the feeling of the full calfskin lined boots on a bare foot can't be beat. Nor do I want to trudge around in 5 lb. plastic boots all day, either. My climbing partner wears plastics on every winter trip. To each his own.

Yes, if standing for a long time, my feet will feel it a bit. These boots are not insulated. However, I don't stand for a while and change once I get camp settled up. The warm water bottle does help to warm them up in the morning, but usually just by moving and packing up them warm up anyway.

Again, just my opinion on what I found works best for ME. Statements made across the board are just that for everyone's replies....OPINIONS.

Last edited:
winter boots

i just got Cabela's winter catalog. altho i have never purchased a pr of their boots, their prices are very very low compared to name brands like lasportiva, lowa, etc.
again, i don't see why anyone needs plastic boots around here; unless they will be ice climbing. i have a $400 pr of plastic asolos that i got such a great deal on, i thought i'd buy. ($40). i have NEVER worn them. yes, they are warm but walking in them is like walking in ski boots. imagine hiking miles like that. you have no flex in the ankle and i just can't imagine not having that; even my all leather vasque alpines or garmont pinnacles (both crampon compatible) are so stiff that my ankles were killing me trying to walk up wright mt. you can purchase a very inexpensive pr of multi-purpose crampons as i noted before, since the insulated boots i'm talking about won't have the crampon lips. i'm sure there's other brands that make an insulated boot; i know lasportiva does but why pay all that extra money - their line of boots are for serious mountaineering - don't overbuy! for me - insulation and waterproofness are the keys to comfortable winter hiking. the boots i've mentioned previously work great with snowshoes. also, ck out cabelas; i have the women's catalog which has 3 prs for bitter cold temps: "snow squall" rated -135 degrees (yes, that's - 135!)for only $90, the "snow tracker" -100 for $100 and the "blizzard stalker" -100 degress for $100 . trust me, i'm all for the best gear but be realistic; get the less expensive and incredibly warm boots i've mentioned (or something similar) and then buy a pr of insulated booties to wear at camp if necessary. you'll have everything you need to keep your toesies warm and spend a lot less of your hard earned cash!

Opinions are good. Not having winter experience to draw from, having these varied view points will certainly help me with the end decision.;) Boots that will keep my feeters dry, warm and comfortable in crampons and snowshoes.

To counter my own previous post, many new plastic boots are much more flexible then their ancestors. However, I still like my leathers.........

It also depends on....

.... how warm your feet are. I have good circulation and warm appendages, so I wear Vasque leather boots rated for 0F, in weather as cold as -40!! I also climb in them (i.e.: technical climing), which those of us with leather boots know that sometimes the crampons "squish" the somewhat softer boot, resulting in ever-so-slightly thinner toe-box insulation, and that makes a lot of difference in a boot that's thin in the first place. Oh yea - I go multi day, and yes, I've put on blocks of ice before. It's only bad for the first 2-5 minutes. I don't use vapour barriers (I probably should) and I use down booties in camp.

Pros & Cons of Plastic vs. Leather;
Plastic boots are.....
... generaly heavier than leather
... stiffer than leather
... more expensive
... better for crampons & skis
Leather boots are.....
... better for shorter trips (1-3 days)
... more universal (approach & climbing)
... not as warm (if you have cold feet)

it all depends on what makes you comfortable and safe.... and that's a combination of: physique, skill, and equipment. Equipment alone doesn't buy comfort and safety.

the wall.......

boots

I hiked in the Catskills all last winter with insulated leather boots and wool socks and I was comfortable. I'm sure it's different at higher elevations, but the snow was as deep as waist high off the trails sometimes and the trail markers seemed to be at ground level when you could even see them.
I am pretty much always cold and my feet were warm. I didn't have any difficulty putting on my snowshoes (Atlas) or crampons.

i have only worn plastic boots 3 times and did not find them comfortable for longer hikes and backpacking trips. i have been wearing solomen snowmonkey's for the last few years. there are insulated and kept my easily cold feet warm, its time to replace them however.

as for camp.....down booties are the greatest thing ever made and truly make life complete and joyful.

Sir E - if crampons are also on the shopping list I can recommend the Salomon SM Lite boot. Both Karen and I used these boots all last winter and I only had a brief cold toe incident on one of the bitterest days of the season.

They do not take a step-in crampon but we used the Grivel G-12s with the newmatic binding and had no problems. In fact I found putting these on a lot easier than step-ins and they felt just as secure.

Bob

You mentioned that you don't have winter experience. Everyone's needs will differ, as sone have pointed out. Some people may be comfortable at -10F with an ordinary boot, others may need Sorels at +20F.

My advice for starting most new sports (and winter travel is a new sport, if you haven't done it) is: Budget the money for something fancy, then buy something cheap (maybe used). Wear it out, get the experience, and you'll quickly determine what your individual needs are. Then buy the appropriate expensive item.

On the same topic:

Don't forget NEOS overshoes as an option. They don't mate with step in crampons or with most ski bindings, but they are fine with snowshoes and strap on crampons. Get an insulated one, like the Navigator, and pull it on over your summer boot. I sometimes wear them over trail runners if it's not too extreme. Leave them in the vestibule, and you can put your clean dry footwear right inside your bag.

TCD

For me leathers are light and more comfortable. They do need to go in the bag with you though. A friend who has done 4 of the "Seven Summits" switched from his plastics to leathers when in the Adirondacks, for the same reasons stated above.