Boott Spur Link questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Heading up Tuckerman next month to shoot some skiing photos/videos.
Looking for another perspective besides from bottom of ravine, specifically
looking for a perspective with the lens not facing into the sun.

Questions:
1) Anyone ever been on Boott Spur Link in late winter / early spring?
2) Is it ever broken out?
3) Are there views into the headwall/ravine to make it even worth the effort?

I've never been on Boott Spur Link in any season, so any info is apppreciated.

I've hiked Boott Spur link in summer a few times. The views across to Tuckerman are pretty distant, you'll need a very big lens to capture any detail of skiers. You actually get a reasonable view of Hillmans, but it's blocked by vegetation. I'm not sure what shape the trail is in during the prime skiing months, I suspect it would be just as easy to head up the side of Tuckerman to get a better and closer side view of the skiers.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems like you'd get the best view from Lion Head. This is just a quick picture I snapped along the Lion Head trail last January on the way to the summit, but you get the idea.

TuckermansRavineSHADOW650_zpsd7541b50.jpg

Depending on the timing you'll be shooting into the sun more often from Lion Head during the best skiing times.

David, thank you. That's exactly the kind of Boott Spur Link info I was looking for.

vinovampire, yes I agree that the best views of the headwall are from Lion Head.
However, this is a casual trip with some folks who aren't above-treeline-in-winter
kind of hikers. Yeah, I know it's April, but... Also, as I said earlier, I don't want
to face the cameras "into" the sun....makes for crappy exposures. If I was going
alone and I could be guaranteed a thin veil of high clouds, then Lion Head is where I'd be.

Edit to add: Yes, David, your second post (which you posted while I was typing) is the
crux of the issue. It's a sun angle kind of thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it's April, but... Also, as I said earlier, I don't want
to face the cameras "into" the sun....makes for crappy exposures. If I was going
alone and I could be guaranteed a thin veil of high clouds, then Lion Head is where I'd be.

Yup, only a 67% chance of that happening. ;-) Enjoy your trip!