Boundary Peak and re-entering US

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Security at the borders isn't what it used to be so I'd suggest bringing a passport if you have one or a copy of your birth certificate if you don't. This is speaking from the perspective of a Yanqui.

We hiked up the border swath from the gate and back through the network of roads/paths on the Canadian side, which was a lot more direct route that avoided two lesser peaks along the swath.

Be careful about hiking that swath during hunting season, the dates of which may vary on the other side of the border where the blinds are located. I found the homemade construction of the blinds to be interesting, often using saplings and improvising with materials. And though the salt licks seem less than sporting, consider that many of the hunters using these blinds are not just hunting for sport, it is frequently for sustenance.

Tom Rankin said:
Well, like u said seema, it depends on what you look like, unfortunately! :(

But for me, I almost never have to show ID. They see a US license plate, and a clean shaven, handsome guy, and I'm good to go! :D
Maybe that's why I have so many problems.

Ever have to stand on the yellow line and have the dog sniff you? Happened to me several weeks ago.... going INTO Canada.

So far, I haven't been subjected to the laytex glove.

Back when Gene used to climb Boundary from the Canadian side, one year he had a German on his trip. The guy had all the correct documents but had left them home in Boston as he was climbing New England peaks, not Canadian ones :) I hear that they managed to smuggle him in/out.

Note that it is possible to do the White Cap-Boundary loop from the NE and remain entirely within the US if you are willing to forego the ATV trail. There are some rare plants at a pond near this route.

Nate said:
Then again, I was driving over in 2000, and once they found out I was unemployed, they asked me a slew of other questions.

So, everyone should watch out for that. :D
I had something similiar happen to me once when passing into Canadian Customs in Alberta. I was employed, and on a climbing trip. When the interrogation was all over and they were satisfied, I asked one of them 'why the 3rd degree' and he said they wanted to make sure I wasn't planning to stay in Canada. Apparently their social service network is rather extensive, and they didn't want any 'freeloaders' (my words, he was much more diplomatic) using it unless you'd paid into it. My sleeping bag, tent, etc made it look like I planned to stay for awhile.

I cross the border a lot. several dozen times a year. There are a few things to know.

1) Nothing is a given. You may have a tough time one day, and an easy time the next. If you're on a bicycle, there is even more varience.

2) Certain crossings SEEM to be tougher than others. On average.

3) If you are young, you'll have a tougher time. Whenever my son is driving, we're just about (see rule 1) guranteed to have a tough time. When he is alone, he has an even tougher time. Several times, he's been asked, "How did you get this passport?"

4) At certain times, they are tough on everyone. Last weekend, they made everyone open their trunks.

While not required, I always carry my passport. Makes thing easier for me.

US guards CANNOT prevent an american from getting back, but they can give you a tough time while they verify your status.

Bottom line, best to be prepared.

Pete_Hickey said:
While not required, I always carry my passport. Makes thing easier for me.

US guards CANNOT prevent an american from getting back, but they can give you a tough time while they verify your status.

My sixty-something grandmother was detained at the MN-ON border way back in the Sixties-something. She went to Thunder Bay on a day trip and left her ID at home in MN. (Her thick Finnish accent didn't help matters.) It was a multi-hour wait while someone fetched it for her.

I don't screw around with border crossings, or the people who watch them. The US Supreme Court has given the Border Patrol a whole bunch of leeway, even long before 9/11. Personally, I'd rather not be the example used to educate the hiking community.

Pete_Hickey said:

As an American going into Canada, don't take radar detection devices and don't take any pet food or beef products (e.g., jerky), since if you declare it, it will be confiscated, even milk bones and kibble. Why? They may contain beef in some form or other (e.g., bone meal) and, ergo, will be suspect for mad cow disease. Your legal liquor allowance is 1.5 liters per person.

My passport expired 11 years ago. Would they confiscate it, tell me it’s no good, or what? I haven’t changed in appearance much, and it’s not as if it’s a required document.

They hassled me when I drove into Canada (and again back into the US) four years ago because my son was with me. They were afraid his mom didn’t know where I was taking him. What bleeping business was it of theirs?

poison ivy said:
Has anyone been up to Boundary recently and can confirm that the gated road is open to cars? (I'm speaking of the dirt road that runs past the Gosford trailhead.) I am worried about driving all the way up there again and finding out they won't let me drive down the road.

- Ivy

I was there on May 28 and the Monsieur at the gate house was only letting 4WD vehicles down that road. He said it was too soft for regular cars. So I went over to Marble Mt. and Saddle Hill with no problems. With all the rain in the last 2 weeks it may not be much better. I am tentatively planning to try again on July 3.

Raymond said:
My passport expired 11 years ago. Would they confiscate it, tell me it’s no good, or what? I haven’t changed in appearance much, and it’s not as if it’s a required document.
Just two weeks ago I used a passport that expired 12 years ago. An expired passport for a native born citizen is as good as a birth certificate for the purposes of establishing you US citizenship. Perhaps if the passport is real old they might additionally ask to see a current photo id. This might change if they ever actually require a passport. My prediction is that the January 1, 2007 (now July 1, 2009) date will continue to slip until some alternative ID card is established.

sli74 said:
Do people find that just a driver's license is enough to get back across? We are thinking about driving to Michigan ...
On my most recent Canadian short cut trips (Lewiston, NY to Port Huron, MI), before and after Memorial Day, the US guards only asked questions. Neither passport nor driver's license were checked. The Canadian guards, however, did motion to see my passport which I was clutching in my hand, although I suspect a driver's license would have sufficed. This was just before the recent terrorist arrests in Canada which might have been part of the increased Canadian security. Crossings both ways were quite fast. I was travelling on Wednesdays to avoid the holiday weekend rush.

It is really pot luck as to how much time a crossing will take. I have never had any trouble, but the lines are sometimes long. Any active alerts will affect the scrutiny. About a week before I plan to cross the border I start to check the Canadian and US Border Wait Times webpages to see if there might be a problem affecting my travel. The Canadian site has both US and Canadian entry wait times. There is often significant variation in nearby crossing sites, and some locations are consistently slower.

Last edited:
Raymond said:
They hassled me when I drove into Canada (and again back into the US) four years ago because my son was with me. They were afraid his mom didn’t know where I was taking him. What bleeping business was it of theirs?
It is not uncommon in divorce/custody cases, for one of the parents, having, say, weekend custody, takes the kids to another jurisdiction.

While doing the 46 with my kids, I would occationally have problems along those lines. I never had any identification for the kids, either.

Gamehiker said:
I was there on May 28 and the Monsieur at the gate house was only letting 4WD vehicles down that road. He said it was too soft for regular cars. So I went over to Marble Mt. and Saddle Hill with no problems. With all the rain in the last 2 weeks it may not be much better. I am tentatively planning to try again on July 3.

Gamehiker, Thank you so much for the update!! I will have a 4WD vehicle with me, so hopefully he will let me through this time.

- Ivy

Sardog1 wrote-

The US Supreme Court has given the Border Patrol a whole bunch of leeway, even long before 9/11.
Yeah the last time coming into the US, they were totally out of line, I was detained for about 3 hours by the US border guards.
I was not a smart ass, very polite and had all my papers in order....
and I was clean shaven and employed.
They also seemed really confused about why I had a motorcycle registration in my wallet. With matching name and address...

I'll never go there again-

Last edited:
I remember the good old days, when, after 5pm, the US crossing in Pittsburg wasn't even manned, just drive on through.

Cell phones work fine in Canada good coverage on the east coast and in BC otherwise I'm not sure- although they do cost more dough.

Tom Rankin said:
A little off topic, but do US cell phones (i.e. Verizon) work in Canada, assuming there is a cell tower near by?
my verizon works in quebec & new brunswick (up until 2 years ago it only worked in quebec, not new brunswick) so i guess that little verizon guy made it up there to see if they hear him now - it even works in rural areas that you wouldn't even think would have cell service in canada.