Bradford Washburn dies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am especially bummed because we planned to get together in the new year for him to sign a bunch of stuff that I planned to donate to one of his favorite non-profits, the Mount Washington Observatory, for silent auctions. We had collaborated in this way many times in the past, which delighted both of us. He only moved this past fall into the nursing wing of the assisted care living facility where he and his wife Barbara had been living for the past decade or so. Brad was always gracious about signing items, whether for good causes or not. He was one of the most remarkable people I have ever known, as is Barbara. The last time that I saw them was two years ago September on a sunset drive up the Auto Road for a MWO event to hear Don Kent, retired weatherperson from Ch 4 Boston, talk about his career as a weather forecaster. So, lession learned by me once again, never put off those important engagements, such as with one's elders.

Really an inpiring man. I still cherish the autographed Washburn book that was given to me at the winter gathering at Wonalancet. Some peoplel die and you say "wow, he had so much more to give". Some people die and you say "wow, he could have done no more". He was certainly the later.

- d

I met Brad, Barbara and Bob Bates at Harvard, at a lecture. It was such a thrill for me to meet them.

I've been enthralled by Brad's photos, and recently recieved a book for xmas: On High: The Adventures of Legendary Mountaineer, Photographer, and Scientist Brad Washburn.

Strange that I was just googling Brad the other day, to look at prints of his work.

Rest in Peace

Last edited:
I was fortunate to have met Mr Washburn (albeit briefly) at a slide show/lecture he did at the Boston AMC site back in the Spring of '89. IIRC, the occasion was to discuss his work on his Everest map. He was accompanied by British Everest climber Doug Scott. Alas, at the time I had none of Washburn's books but I did get Doug to sign a couple of his books for me.
I also saw an exhibition of Washburn's photos at the Highland Center in Aug '05. Many of his photos were enlarged to about 3 feet by 4 feet. The clarity of his images was mind boggling. That exhibition moved around and I saw it again at the Brooks Academy in Andover last year. His photos were side by side with those of Vittorio Sella's, a very early pioneer of mountain photography.
I have always been attracted to his photos because of his keen eye for lighting, texture, stark contrasts and abstract design. The technical skills required to get some of his photos combined with the physical feats of hanging outside of open airplane doors with a bulky and heavy camera were enormous. He will be missed but always remembered.

JohnL

Washburn's photos can be seen and bought at Panopticon Gallery. I am not affiliated whatsoever with the gallery.

Last edited: