Bug suit suitability?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TA, I wouldn't think the flies would be so bad by late June this year... mosquitoes, maybe, but the fly peak should be behind us, even up north -- unless it rains right before you get there.

I haven't tried the bug suits, but I don't mind the biting insects unless they're on my face or neck. Arms and legs, properly covered in high-powered solvents or lightweight nylon clothes (or both), are fair game.

We've experienced solvent action from "100% DEET" (more like 95%): a bleach-like lightening of dark colored clothes, a running of the blaze orange from a cap, and the delamination of the Patriots logo from my wife's cap (which reveals how they were able to sell thousands of Patriots championship hats the day after the Superbowl -- it's just a little embroidered decal glued to a team-neutral hat).

TA-...I take it you are really liking the Peeper eh? I picked up one of those mesh shirts this weekend...so far so good. I'd really like to get an "official" Bug shirt though. Have fun...

I talked to several rangers a few years ago in the glades and they say most everyone had bought the same gear. i don't remember prices, some might think it is high, but the protection priceless.

It was basically a long sleave shirt made of no-see-um or mesquito netting with a rope patchwork(imagine chain link fence pattern but smaller) on the inside to keep the netting far enough from your skin to prevent bites.

Also if you jumped in the water with it on, the water retained in the rope part was very cooling.

you might be able to call the HQ there and ask.

the starchild said:
It was basically a long sleave shirt made of no-see-um or mesquito netting with a rope patchwork(imagine chain link fence pattern but smaller) on the inside to keep the netting far enough from your skin to prevent bites.
A net shirt over long-sleeve fishnet shirt?

Don't know if one can still get fishnet underwear, but it used to the the inner layer of choice in cold weather...

Doug