Building the new Avalanche Camp lean-to

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
On Thursday, July 13, the four 46er trailmasters met Darwin and Brett from the DEC, at the Loj parking area. We hauled our food, gear, and tools into Marcy dam, and set ourselves up in the Ranger cabin. We then headed to Avalanche Camp, to start building the new lean-to.

Our multi-day project involved building the new lean-to, removing the old, building a path to the new leanto, and removing the trash.

The first day we spent the entire time getting the base square and level. A slow but important job, because you know how hikers complain if they have to sleep on a sloping floor. One corner was on a rock, but we had to set rocks on the other three. We hauled gravel up from the stream to provide a base for the other rocks.

Since I was the designated cook, I had to leave a bit early to get back to the Marcy Dam Interior Outpost to start the supper, so it would be ready when the others arrived. It didn't get me out of hauling back 40 pounds of shingles from the old leanto.

After a supper of a fresh baguette, spaghetti and meatballs, and salad, I put on my pack to haul out the garbage, and to bring in some food that I had left at the Loj. My legs were tired from several long hikes a few days earlier with Cantdog, and from hauling up to 70 pounds that day, so my walk from the Loj area to Marcy Dam, took almost an hour.

The next day, we were out on the trail at about 6:20, heading to the site of the lean-to. Since the base was in place, it was simply a job of assembling the numbered logs, and spiking them together.

If we had to cut the logs on the site, and prepare them, we would not be able to build a lean-to in reasonable time... Not to mention the fact that there were no cedar in the area. Darwin is the DEC lean-to building guy. He builds them at their shop in Crown Point, where he has the luxury of power tools. Once built, the logs are numbered, then, the lean-to is disassembled.

We didn't need too many people to square/level the base, but we needed more for the rest of the work. This day, we were joined by Larry, Walter, Cash, David, Jim, Mike, Connie, and Bill. Darwin and Brett had to leave mid-day for a meeting in Ticonderoga, however we were joined by Jessica who is the caretaker at Marcy Dam. There were also quite a gang of DEC workers; more than I have ever seen in one place at one time.

One crew went to work assembling the lean-to, while another was below ripping apart the old one. The dis-assemblage can be seen here:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/trailwork2006/lto/index.html

Everything was pretty much assembled by lunchtime, when we realized that we were short several boards for the roof, and there wasn't any tar paper. The work would have to stop a bit earlier than planned.

Sam volunteered to hike out to his truck and drive to the lumber yard.

Parts of the old lean-to were used to build a bridge across a stream, and as steps. After doing a bit of turnpiking, I had to leave to prepare supper again. This night, was a Chinese hot and sour soup, with a noodle stir fry. It involved an hour and a half of cutting vegetables, which, I may add, goes somewhat faster than cutting 8 to 10 inch cedar logs. Just before supper, Sam arrived carrying two rolls of felt, and a dozen cans of other supplies. He had left the boards at the trailhead near the Loj. The others (who either
lived nearby, or were camping around the loj) had instructions to carry a board or two when they arrived.

Parts of the old lean-to were used to build a bridge across a stream, and as steps. After doing a bit of turnpiking, I had to leave to prepare supper again. This night, was a Chinese hot and sour soup, with a noodle stir fry. It involved an hour and a half of cutting vegetables, which, I may add, goes somewhat faster than cutting 8 to 10 inch cedar logs. Just before supper, Sam arrived carrying two rolls of felt, and a dozen cans of other supplies. He had left the boards at the trailhead near the Loj. The others (who either
lived nearby, or were camping around the loj) had instructions to carry a board or two when they arrived.

Before long the roof was boarded, and Walter (professional roofer) started in the cedar shakes. The roofing job doesn't require a lot of people, so most of us started fixing up the trail leading to the leanto. I spent 3 hours standing in a stream, gathering rocks and gravel for the turnpiking. Altogether we hardened over 100 feet of trail. Once that was done, we started cleaning up the site of the old lean-to, and scattered the logs throughout the
woods. Again, I had to leave a bit early to prepare red chili enchiladas, refried beans and rice. The others returned informing me that the roof was finally finished, and that a group had already moved into the leanto for the night.

Those who were hiking in for the day, were informed that their help wouldn't be needed Sunday, and the four of us left the cabin at 5:50AM to do the final cleanup, and to bring back tools and supplies. We started working and hammering at 6:30AM, telling the gang in the lean-to that this was the price they paid for being the first to sleep in a new lean-to.

Pictures of the building are here:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/trailwork2006/leanto/index.html

Within a few hours, we were finished. The others hauled back garbage, while I carried about 40 pounds of nails and spikes.

We dropped the stuff off at the ranger cabin, then headed out. As a final note. Just as I was driving out of the Loj parking, I saw a familiar van heading in. I U'ed and followed it back just as Timmus was getting out. I also met John and her kids. One of them was shy, but when I pulled out my axe, and stood holding it menacingly. It warmed her right up, because I looked just like the guy in one of her mother's drawings.

Thanks Pete and crew! What an awesome job these guys and gals do! Saturday morning as I approached the lean-to I could hear pounding. I knew Pete and the crew were in there for some project but didn't expect to see the Avalanche Lean-to with no roof! Pete and others were busy when we got there so I chatted with Jim C. for a bit and then continued on our hike feeling a little guilty that we were out hiking while they were working in this heat. On the way out we saw Sam carrying a load of supplies in and got another update that they were almost done. Impressive. Can't wait to check it out the new lean-to next time I go by.

It was nice seeing you at the Loj, and my daughter is still talking about you. She told me that one day she is going to built lean-to's and bridges too. I'm just affraid that one day she will wear a beard like you.

I want to thank you and all the crew, that's awesome.

Looking at the pictures reminded me of a story I read once. Not sure if it's true or just an urban legend (probably urban legend). It said a small town down south passed a three-provision bill which said the following:

1) A new town jail will be built.
2) The new jail will be built using materials from the old jail.
3) The old jail will remain in operation until the new jail is built.

:eek:

Thanks for doing all that. Great job. I have a very fond memory of solo camping in the old one having winter camped in it several years ago. If I get a chance to use the new one I'll let you know what I think compared to the old one. ;) :D

Thanks again for all the work it looks great.

Keith

We took a quick break there in March. Nice work Pete ! I always wondered where the logs were fitted as it seems way too much to be done on site.
Hey, now if they could see fit to build some new ones at Indian Falls, that'd be something ! I still miss the ones that used to be there.

Thanks Pete. I'm very impressed by how quickly you were able to do both the destruction and the construction. Great job and LOT of hard work on a very hot and humid weeekend.

I was just wondering Pete, do you have a speed pass at the border? You are here more than I am. ;) I think the Pataki should grant you citizenship. All kidding aside, thanks for all you do.

Hiya Pete

Great pictures and great TR. You ROCK!!!! Did you take any pics of the trunpike? I'm sort of new at trailwork and am not familier with the term although from context of the TR it sounds like embedding boulders in wet mucky trail to prevent it becoming mudhole.

timmus said:
... my daughter .... She told me that one day she is going to built lean-to's and bridges too.
Back in 'the good old days' kids used to join us on projects. At 10, Jean-René helped to build a bridge. He filled buckets with gravel from the stream. Since then, the DEC and insurance companies said, "No Kids." <Sigh!> I'm sure that was a major influence on him, and led to his four years work as part of TFC. Had he not started at that age, his summer jobs would probably have been flipping burgers.
Toe Cozy said:
And dinners sounded tasty! Did you have to do the dishes too?
ThatIs why I volunteer to cook. It gets me out of doing the dishes!
Chip said:
Hey, now if they could see fit to build some new ones at Indian Falls, that'd be something ! I still miss the ones that used to be there.
My favorite was the Plateau. Waking up in the high crisp air, with that view of Marcy in front of you...
Jazzbo said:
Did you take any pics of the trunpike? I'm sort of new at trailwork and am not familier with the term although from context of the TR it sounds
like embedding boulders in wet mucky trail to prevent it becoming mudhole.
No. You build a wall (large rocks, or logs) on either side, and fill the middle in with gravel hauled up from a stream. Here's a bit of it, leading to the bridge.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/trailwork2006/leanto/tpk.jpg

You'll find turnpiking on the Van Ho trail. You can also find it on the Round Pond trail to Dix, a few tenths of a mile after the Noonmark junction. This is the one that really impresses me, because what was once mud, has now grown in, and the turnpiking is hardly noticible. There is several hundred feet of it, too.

THANK YOU! Great work and great TR--that looks like one heck of a lot of fun. :D