Cabot Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that the land owner is now allowing hikers access to the Cabot trail. Can anyone confirm this or do you still need to take the longer route?

I can't help you out with an answer about the status of Cabot trail. I got tired of the same issue. My solution was to take Unknown Pond trail into Cabot. It is really a pretty mellow approach to Cabot and is one of the nicest hikes in the Whites. I have used this approach twice in the past 1.5 yrs. and each time I have really, really enjoyed the trip (the last time was just a few weeks ago). This route takes you to Unknown Pond and the Horn...both really beautiful places along your way to Cabot. My suggestion is to consider taking this route.

Not sure about the trail, but I would suggest calling the forest service for an update as they are the ones asking hikers not to use the trail. Within the last month or so, there was a posting about construction near the fish hatchery and that noted that the Mt. Cabot Trail is still closed.

For what it's worth, I also think the route heading up past Unknown Pond & the Horn is a pretty route, even though it's longer. :)

- Ivy

Edited to add: Here's the Web page with contact info for the Forest Service: Forest Service info

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about the Cabot trailhead. But I agree that Unknown pond is a nice way to go. Since Cabot is so far north, we actually turned it into an overnight and camped at Unknown pond, that was a nice way to do it-- a nice hike & a really lovely spot to stay.

The trail is officially still closed. The landowner at the trailhead has never been opposed to the trail, it's a landowner further up the trail. As far as I know, there has been no settlement of the dispute.

-dave-

I was there one week ago, it was still closed with no reason to think things would change soon.

I second the idea of approaching via Unknown Pond, the views of and from the Horn are well worth it. The shortest approach to Cabot is currently from Mill Brook Rd (via Unknown Pond), but if you start from York Pond Rd you can make a nice loop using the Unknown Pond and Bunnell Notch trails. Keep in mind the bridge at the hatchery on York Pond Rd is still out, so the loop is about 15.5 miles (vs 10 miles for the Mill Brook up-and-back).