Call me STU-pid!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
Drove up the Cog Base road sat. with the intention of climbing Monroe. I haven't been on the A/R trail for years, so I could not remember where to hook up with the trail. Passed the "new" unplowed, untracked summer T.H. and parked next to one other car in the lower cog lot. I could'nt see any signs for the trail but there was a snowshoe track angling off into the woods behind the cars. I figured this would lead to a blazed trail. Duhh. Followed this bushwack for about 1/4 mile until it dead-ended. Duhh. Back to the lot, spent some time searching for the trail or a sign here and around the upper lot. Now I'm feeling real dumb because I know it has to be close by, but... no signs or snowshoe tracks were found. Finally gave up and went to Plan B, a hike up Eisenhower via the super high-way also known as the Crawford path.
Soooo.... at the risk of embarrassing myself, I have to ask. Could anyone tell me where I went wrong. I plan to go back in March and I don't want to repeat. Could someone please explain in detail, from the lower lot how to proceed to the A/R trail? Thanks, Stu
:eek:

Go past the summer T.H. for the Ammonoosuc Ravine on the right side of the base road, this is unplowed and gated in winter. Keep driving to towards the cog railway, past the lower parking lot on the left (sounds like this is where you parked) and go to upper Marshfield station parking lot that is by the building for the cog railway. There is a trail between a group of small huts that connects to the AR trail.

This winter trail to Lake of Clouds and Monroe leaving from the cog probably makes the hike about a mile shorter than leaving from the summer TH. I don’t think that the trail has a sign, not sure, so easy to miss. Did this hike a couple of weeks ago and found it was a pretty popular trail with the nice hike to Monroe and people doing Washington and looping back on the Jewell.

An Eisenhower hike sounds like a good plan B.

Happy hiking.
Steve

would a map help?

Check the Satellite view to see the parking lots more clearly. Once you know what you're looking for you can spot the brook in the satellite view too, the trail should be almost beside it on the south side.

if facing the railway station and mt. washington walk around to the right of the main building and up the hill bearing right past the small houses. trail leaves on the right about 50 yards up. there is a large sign with hiker info. last i was there. had a hell of a time finding it the first time i tried to take off from there. lots of cute tame foxes around if you're lucky.

bryan

When I down-loaded a gps track of that morning it shows very clearly that we were only yards from the trail (I think!?) We were actually up near some water tanks to the right of the main building. It appears that we needed to go farther behind the smaller buildings. I just mentally psyched myself out. I did'nt think the trail would be routed up near those buildings. Oh well. Call me stupid! :(

I know I tried looking for it a couple of times doing recon for the hike & that was even after coming down it back in 1995 in the dark. Did okay last March but lot was so empty I parked right up top as the train was not running

I suspect also long as they keep the snow train open & the road plowed it will get a fair amount of use. Just remember back & right

Thanks

I must not have been thinking too clearly that morning. I should have reasoned that the trail followed the brook and based on trail report beta I knew the trail had to be packed out, DUH! As a last resort, I easily could have asked directions at the cog base building, but did'nt. Oh well, I will not give up so easy next time. Thanks for your help! Stu

not to sound to harsh but sounds like you didnt even have a map. The trail is obvious you just have to at least know where to look. I normally check my maps the night before any hike and look at the terrain, I go as far as checking coordinates for bailout points on the ridges, if the need should arise. What if you got lost above treeline? it would be harder to find your way then in the parking lot for sure. imo you should preface each hike with a little homework, unless you know the terrain from experience.
As far as just having a bad day, that I can relate to, some days your better off in a pub then on a mountain, that happens to all of us.