Calling Cards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAmeche

Reaction score
There may be a modicum of ridiculousness to this post, but I'll try anyway.

A few weeks ago, while hiking with a friend, the subject of conversation came upon what we yelled out every once in a while during hiking, to let others know our presence. My usual "Whoooo!" and "Whaoaoaw!" was the best my imagination has been able to come up with. He said a friend told him to yell, "IS THAT RIGHT?!?" and he's been hooked ever since. I tried it, and it felt surprisingly GOOD.

Anyone else have other "calling cards" to let others aware of their presence?

Although I don't always use them I usually at least have trekking poles in my hand. To let people know I'm coming I'll hit them together lightly or actually use them and click on the trailside rocks a bit. I try not to be rude but I don't want to startle anyone.

-Dr. Wu

a very loud Yeeeee Haaaaaa

Was heard by my hiking partner & I on North Kinsman as we were approaching the lookout on the summit. Our answer was a just as loud
"that you Bubba?" and that has become our announcement WHEN we are in need of one.

Otherwise we have a series of whistles back and forth to communicate, we are never far apart and the whistles can only be heard by he & I. But they serve to keep us moving on lung pumpers. Theres the "I need to stop" whistle, the "too bad keep moving" whistle and the "I'm fine thanks for asking whistle"

arm said:
we hiked in Glacier NP a few years ago, and rangers suggested ringing a bell or making some noise so that we would not surprise grizzly bears on the trail

I heard that out west that there has been a rash of grizzly deaths because these bears are choking on cowbells.

not far from the trailhead, we caught up with groups of hikers who constantly screamed and rang cowbells as loudly as possible, the entire time they were hiking

it was very annoying ... just an extreme example

would have been less painful to get attacked by grizzlies !

I bought a "bear bell" before a trip to Wyoming. First day out I put it in my pack stuffed with toilet paper because the sound drove me nuts.

I also know a friend who bought a "bear bell" and had to get rid of it because it drove him crazy on the trail. He went back to his old trick of lighting off ladyfingers anytime a bear made its presence.

MrAmeche said:
t we yelled out every once in a while during hiking, to let others know our presence. Anyone else have other "calling cards" to let others aware of their presence?

Why do you have to let others know of your prescence? Sounds really annoying. Why would anyone want to hear your yelling?

Last edited:
forestnome said:
Why do you have to let others know of your prescence? Sounds really annoying.
Perhaps, though not nearly as annoying as coming up behind someone who is standing on the lip of King Ravine and totally unaware of your presence, and startling them. They just might grab your jacket and pull you down with them :)

Wu method

I am also a smacker of my treking poles on occasion, usually when I am clearing a corner or ridge where others would not hear me coming...not too mention to let bears know I am around. Yelling sounds real annoying, but I will mention last weekend on the Twinway after traveling over two hours without seeing or hearing anything a hiker scared the hell out of me when he came up behind me.

courtesy

whenever I come across someone who is unaware of my presence I make myself known immediatley with a greeting, trekking pole click, shoe shuffle, whatever feels apropriate for the situation. Otherwise I tend to keep my trap shut. Silence is golden. If i wanna whoop it up and make a nuisance of myself Ill go to a football game or fight with the wife and kids.

A "few" ;) years ago, when attending and later working at a backpacking adventure camp run by Killington ski area, we were taught a call to use if any hikers became seperated or in emergencies. You'd spell it "Koooooo wah" with the wah a few notes higher than the kooo. When done loudly it really carries and echos well. Have used it with my kids when they get out of eyesite and they always respond quickly. Tried it in the house but my wife didn't appreciate it much!?

????????

Man after 20 something yrs in the backcountry I thought I was astute, but "calling cards" cmon, I just hike, if people hear me fine, if they dont, they will know Im there,when I stomp on by wont they, people are getting way to sensitive, or is it that people just love to start conversations. on a bbs.

"... I have a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!!"

Usually the jingle jangle of my dogs tags give me away.

Yes, more cowbell!

I solo a lot and the majority of surprises I've had on the trail is from other hikers getting up real close without my noticing. (If mountain lions are making a comeback I'm scr*w*d.) Usually happens when I'm rummaging in the pack or photographing something.

I once stopped at the end of the bridge at the bottom of the Falling Water trail to take a snap. Got done and caught close movement in the corner of my eye, followed by a greeting, made me jump out of my skin! I turned around to find a line of hikers waiting patiently on the bridge to pass :rolleyes:

I try and minimize the noise I make in the hope I may catch glimpses of wildlife but I will whistle or clack the poles if I'm heading into some twisty brush or berry territory. Don't want to surprise me or the bear :)

IMHO shouting and yelling are only appropriate when in need of assistance. Whooping and yelling on the last peak of a list being an exception :)

Bob

I guess I'm in the minority, but I use an airhorn. ;)

In grizzly country I say, "Hey bear," in different tones/strengths. There have been some studies that suggest bears do identify the bear bells with food.

For all you folks missing the "cowbell" humor.

SNL Cowbell

Peace.