Camel's Hump Acess Roads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
I am planning to climb Camel's Hump this week. There are two Camel's Hump Roads approaching the mountain, from different sides.

I was planning to approach from the Camel's Hump Road coming from the north. It approaches Monroe Trail head.

There is another Camel's hump Road approaching from the west that leads to the Boulder and Forest CIty Trail.

Does anyone know if these roads are still passable after all of the recent rains?

Thanks,

I have not been there recently, but there are a good amount of houses on both of those roads, so I assume that both roads would be fine. In the off chance that the roads were too bumpy and rutty to drive, you can also hike south on the long trail from the trailhead right along the winooski river.

The road that approaches the Monroe Trail is indeed dirt, starting where it follows the main river. The dirt road is open in the winter up to the winter parking lot (which is at the bottom of the hill that leads to the summer parking areas). I assume that, since it was passable this past March, it should be okay now (also, there are year round houses next to the winter parking area). From there to the summer area, I wouldn't be surprised if the road is a bit washed out (it's basically a straight dirt road with a decent pitch).

You could also call the Green Mountain Club at 802-244-7037 and ask them for any reports about road washouts in that area. Or better yet, call the Huntington Town Garage at (802) 434-2710 and ask them about washouts. In a more normal summer you wouldn't have any trouble. But I'm not willing to make any guarantees this summer! :(

Hopefully you have a gazetteer or other really good map because I've heard lots of people complain that the hardest thing about hiking Camel's Hump can be getting to the trail head!

Have a great time!

I work for the ambulance service that serves the western and northern approaches to Camel's Hump. Those two approaches are open. The road crews are generally quick to respond to any problems since there are many homes at the top of the road. The only time I have not been able to get to the trailhead was after the Valentines Day storm (Honda Civic). Otherwise it is passable most of the winter. Enjoy the hike.

We hiked the Hump from the West side a month ago. I think it was a bit shorter than the Monroe Trail on the East.

I found a map called 'Mad River Valley & Long Trail Hikes' that was very detailed with hiking trails, contour lines, and surface roads - including the unpaved. I think there was even a sign in 'downtown' Huntington Center on Main Road that pointed the Left to Camel's Hump St Park via Camel's Hump Road.

CH Road turns to gravel/hard dirt pretty quickly, but it is in VERY good shape. Were it not for the twists / turns, I'm sure you could do 50 mph. We were amazed at the number of houses in there. It ends at the Burrows trailhead (Burrows and Forest City Connector). A good size (25-30 cars) parking lot there.

The Forest City Trail actually starts about a mile before the Burrows trailhead (parking for 1-2 cars), but driving to the end of Camels Hump Road where the Burrows Trail starts gives you a bigger parking lot, and saves you a mile and 400 ft of vertical. The Connecter from the Burrows trailhead to Forest City is only 0.1 miles long.

I recommend the loop. Take the Forest City trail to to the Long Trail and over the summit from the South. Going UP summit on the LT from the South is better than trying to go DOWN it (STEEP). Return via Burrows. Both trails start at the 'sign in' / billboard, so don't miss the Forest City Connector as the map implies that it branches from Burrows a bit uphill from the start.

Camels Hump access

Both roads will be fine for a normal car, they have gotten washed and repaired regularly this summer but are town roads. The last bit of private road up to the Monroe summer trailhead will be sketchy but quite driveable with care, and if not just leave car at winter trailhead.
Enjoy!
John

went up CH yesterday afterwork.
road is in great shape, the last stretch near the trail head was a bit rough, but just take it slow (its only for 2/10ths of a mile or so).