Camels Hump Again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
Last week's romp up the Burrows Trail was so much fun that I had my son Isaac take the day off from school today so that he could give it a whirl. As things like this go, we got a very late start due to multiple last minute gear upgrades for his growing frame, so we didn't actually start walking away from the car at the trailhead until 2pm. This turned out to be just right, as the cloud cover was being stubborn about lifting off as was called for - the late start put us at the summit just as it briefly cleared, and we got the bonus of a running headlight glissade descent with no trail traffic to worry about.

00_Grin.jpg

Psyched

01_Mini-Me.jpg

Mini-Me

A party of sledders and their dogs had also arrived late at the trailhead -most likely they also were aiming late to avoid crashing into people on the way down. The sledders passed us early in the hike, not to be seen again until we were almost at Le Junction, where they had begun their descent, basically of the whole peak - their resulting sled track suggested they had a pretty good time, not counting whoever got dumped into the riverbed when they missed a turn - that didn't look fun at all.

02_Forest-Of-Idiot-Bombs.jpg

Forest of Idiot Bombs

The upper reaches of the peak were plastered with heavy snow, much of it ready to break off onto your head; "idiot bombs". I showed Isaac how easy you could make them plop down with a slice of a ski pole, which he unfortunately wanted to do the entire rest of the hike.

04_Isaac-at-Le-Junction.jpg

Le Junction

Isaac wore MSR "Shift" kids snowshoes, which so far seem to be great shoes.

05_Isaac-Charging-The-Summit.jpg

Summit Fever

06_IsaacNearSummit.jpg

Ready for the Final Nasty Bit

At the summit, we were treated to a very cool light show - sunny highlights followed by pink and baby blue pastel mist, floating in the sunset as we ran down from the summit cone.

07_Isaac-on-Camels-Hump-Summit.jpg

Summit Jig

4:21 pm at the summit

08_Battling-Summit-Winds.jpg

Battling Summit Winds

This was Isaac's first solid taste of summit wind of the winter flavor, and he liked it!

09_Isaac-Running-Down-From-Summit.jpg

Cowabunga!

I explained to Isaac that you have to be careful about what mountains and trails you use when planning to descend in the dark, and that it's not something to do willy-nilly in an area that you don't know well.

10_Isaac-Back-at-The-Lot.jpg

Finito

This was his first major peak in Vermont in winter, and I was really glad to see him do so well. He wants to go again soon, so I guess that's a good sign.

Last edited:
Great report and great to see kids out there having fun.

Is the road plowed to the summer parking area?

Love see kids out having fun on the summits in winter! Your son seems to be having a blast on this trip. great pics!!!

Joe, yes - the Burrows Trail trailhead and the Forest City trailhead are both accessible. We used snowshoes, but probably didn't need them. But with this warm forecast these words may melt away to mean nothing.

:mad:

Tim,

I'm curious about the snowshoes and Isaac's age and/or weight... PM if you don't want to publicize it. My son is interested in snowshoeing but doesn't have anything to get him up the steeper stuff.

Tim

Tim, Isaac is 10 and weighs 84 lbs. I bought him two pairs of shoes this week on sale, the Tubbs Flex Jr. - 17", rated to 90 lbs (for Isaac to use on firmer trails), for $48, and a pair of the MSR "Shifts" - 19", rated to 125 lb, for $75 ( for the deeper stuff and trailbreaking). The Tubbs have a much simpler binding and a steel crampon/rail system, where the MSR has a more complex binding and an aluminum crampon/rail system. Isaac has had no problems with either pair so far, but we haven't really done anything too punishing. Yet. :D

Last edited: