Camels Hump

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
Camels Hump Sunday May 25th.

Myself, Babs,Brian B, Gillian, Skimom, JP and Jackson (dog).
Babs and I got there before the rest so we stared up Monroe trail. This is just a nice mellow trail with lots of people and black flys. We arrived at the summit after the saying bye to the snow for the season (one small patch right below treeline) There were like 2000 people on summit, well maybee 40 but seemed like thousands. There were 2 GMC employees there that were definately holding it down, trying to keep people off the grass( I guess all the signs dont really work) We just rested and enjoyed the amazing views waiting for the others. about 30 minutes later they showed up and we enjoyed some fantastic kisses from brian b (hershey kisses). First time i had any views from this summit.
We decied to take Long Trail down to Alpine Trail to view the plane crash. Honestly, it was kind of dissapointing ! not really sure what i expected but it was not all that. before we knew it we were back on the Monroe trail and soon the black flys were out to eat us. The bug spray did not seem to work. We all decided to get a drink at the Alchemist in Waterbury after our hike. The Whonky was delicious!!! Babs and i had a couple beers and heading back to burlington. We went home and changed and drove to Elmore SP for some trivial pursuit by the fire. It was the boys against the girls and you all know how that went...... we won all 3 games (thanks to JP, he is like really really smart). Babs and myself said goodbye and headed back to Burlington. Great weekend! just wish Mondays weather would have been as good as Saturday and Sundays as i had planned to do some kayaking in Champlain.
Cant wait to get out in the woods again!

Last edited:
Great weekend of hiking & camping in Vermont!! Fun to hike Mt. Mansfield with Brian B, Mookie, and the puppy dog Jackson. Whose idea was it again to do the Clara Bow Trail with a dog??...oh yeah that would be me! oopss!! Made it up safely though and rethunk my plan of taking the Long Trail to the Forehead and attempting those steep ladders with Jackson..... and instead enjoyed the rather soggy, slippy Forehead by-pass trail! Sorry we missed you on the summit Skimom - your too fast!!
Mookie's right..... a little crowded on Camel's Hump but the beautiful sunny day more than made up for it, and it was nice to meet Babs on the summit!
As for Trivial Pursuit - I think the guys were cheating! Oh, ok...its true JP's just a smartie pance. :D :D

trivial pursuit

well, we could see the answers when you where reading the questions! just kiddin.

yeah, would not have been fun to carry jackson up the ladders, but i would have liked to have done it as i have not been up from that side. next time i guess.

Great day to be up there. I did see some folks who looked familiar on the summit around 11:00-11:30, I wonder if that was your group.

Rather than post another Camels Hump TR here, I'll add this link to my TR.

Camels Hump should win an award for the Most Crowded Summit. I experienced the same when I was there. Actually, it was like the Hilary Step waiting in line to get anywhere. :rolleyes: Sounds like a fun weekend! I'm horrible at Trivial Pursuit.

skimom-
wish you would have made our mansfield hike with us! Brian has photos from mansfield and hopefully he will be able to post them someday.

Yogi and I were on Camels Hump Sunday the 25th???
Were you all there on Sunday or Monday?
It was an awesome day, cool and windy enough for most of the hike to keep the bugs away. We went up Munroe (used to be Forestry Trail no?) then up Dean and over the ridge. Then down past the plane wreck and out.
Someone offered to take a picture of us and did. Saw lots of people but didn't socialize much, although Yogi was very interested in the chiwawa (spelling).

oops.

yes, sunday the 25th. just edited my post. long weekends mess with your mind.
we were all at the summit around 12:30 - 1:00 i would say.