Camera ideas for Hiking / Outdoors / General use

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynotrick

Reaction score
Rochester NY. Avitar: Софиский Собор, Новгород
Since I know there are plenty of photographers on here how about some help choosing a new digital camera.

I need a camera that will stand up to hiking and outdoor activities as well as be good for all around use. A few requierment that I have:
1. must be about $200 or less (I wouldn't stress about up to ~$230 though)
2. must use SD memory cards as I already have several for other devices.
3. prefer a viewfinder (strongly)
4. would prefer at least 4 megapixels but not an absolute need

By outdoor ruggedness I don't want it to be easily damaged by some jostling or a short drop (like a foot) also I don't want to worry about taking it out in a light rain or fog and possibly high winds. Asking alot I know but I'd like to come as close as possible to what I described. So what recomendations can you guys offer.

Oh and under no curcumstance would I buy a Sony camera.

Kevin Rooney said:
You see alot of Cannons on the trails, mine included. I think the Cannon Powershot SD400 is one of the best values going, but it's a bit above your price range. Take a look at the Powershot SD200 - looks like an excellent camera, and small.
I would second Canon... I have the Canon A510 (3.2mp but there is the A520 which has 4mp) which is small, fairly rugged, easy to use. I chose this one because it has all the manual overrides for shutter speed, F-stop, ISO etc. I've had fairly good luck with it... in the winter and on particularly clear, sunny days I bought a cheap polarizer/adapter which works quite well.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Dyno, I posted a version of this on my site, but I'll share here too.

....As for specific digital camera questions. I'm sorry I really can't answer that. I'm only allowed to use a $29 throwaway 2 megapixel unit when hiking. :(

BUT, I will tell you with GREAT CONFIDENCE, that you will need to be extra careful NOT to drop your brand new camera (lets, for argument sake, say is Kodak Easyshare Unit) into the Ausable River** in the Adirondacks. That whole "moisture" worry thing you spoke of magnifies exponentially if the camera is submerged 2 feet in that frigid, mountain-fed, fast-flowing stream.

Additionally, on the odd chance you still feel the need to determine if your particular Easyshare device can navigate those waters successfully, once you fish it back out again, you must resist the GREAT TEMPTATION to turn the unit on right away in order to "see if it still works?" :rolleyes:, thereby initiating power to the wet circuitry and frying the unit up real good. Also, should you fail to heed these warnings, and that said camera was a gift from you lovely bride there is a GREAT chance that that same loving wife that so generously gave said camera to you to use, will be MOST unpleased and may even revert to calling you all sorts of derogatory things for letting the entire chain of events that lead you to this eventual outcome in the first place.

Oh, by the way........ On a related not, If you ever turn the Easyshare on (wet or otherwise) and you see three blinking backward "E's". Well that's Kodak's version of saying "I'm sorry, we did everything but we just couldn't save her". I believe the technical term is FATAL ERROR - UNRECOVERABLE. The bright spot in all this is that if you got the extended warranty from................ say, a store like Best Buy here in Henrietta. There is a good chance it will be replaced without any of those embarrassing "Ummmm, sir, what happened with the unit just prior to getting this message (backward E's)?" type questions.

** - Please note that I can only speak with great confidence about the Ausable River, specifically near the outlet to the Upper Ausable Lake. However, I am somewhat confident that it applies to all bodies of water (in the Adirondacks or otherwise).

Last edited:
"Canon" is the camera. "Cannon" is the mountain. :)

The A520 and 510 are fine cameras, but they use the older DIGIC-I chip which is slower to focus and take images. The SD series and the A610 and 620 use the newer DIGIC-II chip, which makes a significant difference.

I have and SD300 and it's been through quite a bit of abuse and still works fine. Add in a few bucks for a case, mine is a LowePro.

-dave-

I have been using and abusing an Olympus Camedia C450 for the past couple years and while this is no longer their current model, I can recommend these highly. The newer 5meg models would be right in your price range. They are very rugged - I've dropped it, watched it bounce, spin around, bounce again - picked it up and kept on shooting. These have the sliding door lens cover, which I like. Compact, easy to carry. I had it set wrong (on "Cloudy") when I took this picture, and it turned out okay.

f179c37e.jpg

Having said that, my "next" camera is going to be a Nikon D50 SLR. but that's a $1000 camera, and won't be taken on many back-country outings.

Generally your concerns about dropping can be handled with a good, padded case (usually $20 or less.). There are also just a few "waterproof" cams in your $ range, But you can easily get one of the major brands 5MP for under $200 in a digital. Watch the weekly ADS. In the subcompacts, as Dave mentions, the price goes up a bit, The Canon Sd series is excellent as is the Casio EXZ750 but is closer to $400 and is 7mp. Stick to a mainstream brand (Canon, Oly, Minolta, etc) and get a small padded case and you'll be fine. Enjoy it...Also, IMHO on the trail, smaller is better..

Got a Canon Powershot A75 3.2 megapixel. Its definitely not the highest quality camera out there but it did shoot a pic that got me a spot on the Mount Washington Observatory Photopage...not that I'm gloating :eek: .

2005_11_12.jpg

So in conclusion, sometimes places are beautiful and you dont need a good camera! :D
grouseking

I have a Nikon Coolpix 8700 and a Pentax Optio S40. The Pentax isn't in the same league as the Nikon, it shouldn't be for the price difference, but still delivers acceptable results. I bought the Pentax because I wasn't happy with the cold weather performance of the Nikon. I found that the battery life on the Nikon was too short even with Lithiums.

I bought the Pentax on impulse. It was the last one at BJ's in Tilton. It was cheap at $140 with a 128 Meg SD card, used AA batteries, had 4 megapixels and was only slightly larger than a pack or marlboro's. The first few times I used it, I was not impressed but after fiddling with White Balance, Exposure Compensation and Color Enhancement, I'm much happier with the results. Because I didn't spend a fortune on it, I find that I carry it around more than my Nikon.

The bottom line is you don't have to spend a lot to get a good digital.

Glenn

For the Canon's, whats the main difference between the SDs and the a610s etc that some of you mentioned. Dave listed the different component between those and some older models. I am pretty much tech illiterate, but my wife says I can pick out a new camera under 450 dollars for Christmas as long as I promise not to drop it in any rivers or lose it (for some reason she says I am always losing things).

Any further advice appreciated.

I bought an HP camera a year and a half ago, and it has about 3.2 megapixels, i think. It's an ok camera, but i wouldn't really recommend it to anyone looking for a new camera. It takes relatively good pictures, but the pics never seem to have great color in them, they usually seem a bit flat compared to other's pics. I've heard good things about Canon from most people though. I might look into one of those when i buy my next one. The one good thing about my camera is that it is a step up from what i used before, disposable cameras.. blech.. I decided to stop using those after my ski trip to europe produced about 5 good pics out of a roll of 30.