Campground Hosting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
I'm camphosting in Oregon. ,,, Being semi-retired is tough...
Interesting gig. We have thought of doing the same, possibly at a fire tower out west.

The hosts at Sugarloaf 1 and 2 in the Whites always seem hard pressed to get everything done. It does not seem like a relaxing retirement vacation for them. Cleaning toilets every day, cleaning sites after someone checks out, etc.

What's the worst aspect of your residency, aside from dealing with the weekenders?

People who refuse to follow safety rules, or even safety common sense. Stupid people in general and the only way to get a day off is to leave. It isn't that bad, because most times there is something we want to see or a hike to go on. Having a reason to leave is an escape and motivation.

Worst aspect is the people. I keep being told that it gets better as July goes on, but if better is having a filled campground by thursday, rather than Wednesday. Kids who argue the meaning of words. 9 weeks into it, I've given up on stupid people. You want to smash your head on the rocks jumping off the dock after you've been told not to, its on you. Parents want to let their children run around unsupervised? I don't care if a boat cuts off their leg. Don't come to me for help. Call 911, I'll direct traffic as your kid bleeds out.

All because I talked to an old couple camp hosting at Wild River Campground. I'm pretty sure I won't camphost on a lake again, if at all. I guess you can compare it to hiking, the romance of it sounds wonderful, the work of hiking can be drudgery, but sometimes, the payoff is worth it.

I'm at grizzly primitive campground in keystone sd. No lake but heard horror stories about them. But we have plenty of idiot's to. I just warned a guy about lashing his two large dogs. They justify breaking the rules. Gives me the evil eye. I told him I'll warn him twice then I call the ranger in to evict him.
And when it gets dark the one's come taking an empty site hoping the host is off work. They try or leave early to beat the system. It's always the single guy and girls it seems. I love the excuses they give me when I catch them.
Like we mentioned many don't read the sign coming in as well. Go the wrong way, don't come and pay with in 30 min or hours actually. Have to chase them. Cleaning the vault toilets and site areas is the easiest part.

My gf/partner's dad is a retired firefighter from northern Maine. He lives at a campground up there for close to half of the year, doing mechanical maintenance, and also working around the area maintaining a bunch of campsites on logging company lands. Not as a host; I don't think he has to deal directly with people much at all. Mostly it's seasonal folks and families at this spot, who I'd guess are maybe less likely to break all the rules as compared to weekenders.

We love to go tent camping on the lake shore by his trailer, with a stunning view of Katahdin across the water. Once during a beautiful evening sunset, with beers in hand and The Mountain on display, he remarked, "Another day in paradise."

My gf/partner's dad is a retired firefighter from northern Maine. He lives at a campground up there for close to half of the year, doing mechanical maintenance, and also working around the area maintaining a bunch of campsites on logging company lands. Not as a host; I don't think he has to deal directly with people much at all. Mostly it's seasonal folks and families at this spot, who I'd guess are maybe less likely to break all the rules as compared to weekenders.

We love to go tent camping on the lake shore by his trailer, with a stunning view of Katahdin across the water. Once during a beautiful evening sunset, with beers in hand and The Mountain on display, he remarked, "Another day in paradise."
It might be a laid back place. If it's small or no popular beach area. I talked to a host here that did mine last year and now is further away from Mt. Rushmore and at a larger campground with a lake with boats and access to atv trails. Mostly locals he says vs mine with international and all across usa types. locals I think would be from Rapid City,Nebraska,Wyoming which isn't far. It's a zoo he said and finally blew his cool on one or two idiots and was talked to by our boss. I think he misses mine (that he hosted last year).
Sturgis week is coming and although the Ranger said this campground is relatively quiet thru it it worries me. Just one group of drinking,wild childs with usually one in he group who is the problem might happen. Haven't had to call the Ranger yet and he did give me his personal cell and told me to call if in doubt. But they are spread thin and would take or might take a while to arrive.

Thanks for the feedback.

What I've seen at prolonged volunteer gigs at Baxter is that for many people camping=drunkenness. And it's "Instant Ass*ole, just add alcohol."

They are hard to deal with and often aggressive when confronted.

Give me a lonely fire tower any day.

Thanks for the feedback.

What I've seen at prolonged volunteer gigs at Baxter is that for many people camping=drunkenness. And it's "Instant Ass*ole, just add alcohol."

They are hard to deal with and often aggressive when confronted.

Give me a lonely fire tower any day.
Even the camphosts at Wild River said on the weekends, they got a few of those. Being a former drunken a**hole myself, I can relate. Most of the campers are pretty cool, once you talk to them. I'm not lonely enough to want to talk to strangers, in person, most days.

Cleaning pit toilets is not the worst part of the job.

my nearest USF's campground had a group of guys that got good and rowdy. They were warned few times and didn't care if the rangers came. Host finally they called the rangers. They ended up arresting 3 of them. They had out standing warrants. Go figure. True story .
Another one true story is a woman was stoned drunk obnoxious etc. Ranger called in and asked to leave. When she hit the town road she was arrested for dui. Ha.

I worked as a gatehouse attendant for about 5 months at a Corps of Engineers campground. 2 days on, 6 days off. You could trade days but if you got screwed because someone left before working your days you had traded, you were screwed and had to work them. Happened to me! We got to live there free, on a lake. About half the RV sites were out of service. Good sites with lots of grass around and behind. Roads were not maintained too great but that just meant people really couldn't speed through the park. Bathrooms/showers were well maintained though. I'm hearing it might actually close down soon but who knows?

I worked as a gatehouse attendant for about 5 months at a Corps of Engineers campground. 2 days on, 6 days off. You could trade days but if you got screwed because someone left before working your days you had traded, you were screwed and had to work them. Happened to me! We got to live there free, on a lake. About half the RV sites were out of service. Good sites with lots of grass around and behind. Roads were not maintained too great but that just meant people really couldn't speed through the park. Bathrooms/showers were well maintained though. I'm hearing it might actually close down soon but who knows?

I believe it and seen it at Corps of Engineer sites across usa. Always sites available when we found them. Usually we were on the road and needed a place to crash for the night. Many at reservoirs in the middle of the plains or flat lands of central usa. One site I landed at was in the Texas panhandle and the wind was howling so hard. Picnic tables were chained down. A older couple stopped by at my site high on a hill with a view of the reservoir and informed me it's the most windy spot in usa. I had to turn the truck camper into the wind as the roof hatches were going to blow off. Wind felt good as it was hot. Was going to rest up a day there and hike a bit around but the Dog picked up pea size briers' glaore from the grass along the road. Pretty bad spot. I left early am headed out on the road again.

I believe it and seen it at Corps of Engineer sites across usa. Always sites available when we found them. Usually we were on the road and needed a place to crash for the night. Many at reservoirs in the middle of the plains or flat lands of central usa. One site I landed at was in the Texas panhandle and the wind was howling so hard. Picnic tables were chained down. A older couple stopped by at my site high on a hill with a view of the reservoir and informed me it's the most windy spot in usa. I had to turn the truck camper into the wind as the roof hatches were going to blow off. Wind felt good as it was hot. Was going to rest up a day there and hike a bit around but the Dog picked up pea size briers' glaore from the grass along the road. Pretty bad spot. I left early am headed out on the road again.
The place I was at, half the RV sites were out of service or reserved for "admin" use - like when someone was unable to vacate on time so we had to move someone coming in. Of the 38 sites, 19 were not reservable and the 2 "admin" sites would show as FCFS but we were not allowed to rent them out in case they were needed.

Had another crazy camper issue yesterday morning. Older lady came in about 9.30 pm. Didn't check in with us. Had a nice camper van registered in Florida. Wife did her 7 am rounds to pull tags and check for new campers. Checked in the camper and asked for camping fee which is $ 24 or $12 with senior discount. Lady complaine it was alot for here. But she only had to pay $12 with her Senior lifetime card. But there is a $2 dog fee dog for her dog to issues dog's cause etc. She told my wife she wasn't going to pay the $2. Wife came back and was upset a bit. I finished my coffee quick and went down to the lady and pounded on her van and confronted her. I basically embarresed her in front of other campers with my loud voice and demanded the money. Threatened her with the Ranger that should come by soon. She paid the $2. I hope the head ache from me in her face big time was worth trying to buck the $2. This is what I do to rule breakers. Embarass them in front of the good campers. If they think it's worth the headache for $24 or what ever good luck. If they think paying the fee for being near Mt. Rushmore and the nice town nearby,etc. is too much head for the woods miles from here and boon dock.