Campground

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasym

Reaction score
Hi. A couple of friends and I are going to be driving up north late Friday night, and want to stay at a cheap campground that night, so we can get up early and only have a short drive to Pinkham notch Saturday morning. Can anyone tell me the closest campground to Pinkham notch that will be open? Was looking at Barnes Field, but couldn't tell if it was actually open now on the site for it. Is there anything south of Pinkham other than the campgrounds on the Kanc?

camping

Cherry Mountain Road as sites and is near Bretton Woods and is free...
Dry River
Barnes Field should be open...not sure what the $$ is...
Most of the private grounds will be closed...

White Birches Mtn Camping Park on Rt 2 in Shelburne NH was open year round last year on a limited basis as an alternative to Barnes Field. I had looked into it as an an alternative for Sherpas event this past winter. I believe that they have one winterized shower/bath building. Their number is 603- 466-2022. It is on route 2 a few miles east of Gorham after the the Shelburne Birches.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those tonight. I guess two more questions that comes to mind is if hunting is allowed in pinkham notch and how is the boott spur trail avalanche wise when the danger is high in Tucks?

thanks

There are no special rules for hunting in the WMNF. The Pinkham Notch area usually doesnt get much hunting pressure as there arent a lot of deer. The Barnes Field area and along Pinkham B/DollyCopp road does get a lot of hunters.

kasym said:
how is the boott spur trail avalanche wise when the danger is high in Tucks?

Avalanche danger is spatially variable, but I would personally consider the Tuckerman rating as a baseline for Boott Spur. Remember that Boott Spur divides Tuckerman Ravine from the Gulf of Slides, both of which are definitely avalanche-prone. While ridges tend to offer safer routes than bowls, slides, and headwalls, avalanche danger cannot be ruled out. Note that even though the ridge is not particularly knife-edged, I have seen significant cornice development in places on the lee side. Travel on top of or under these cornices may be unwise.

Still, the Boott Spur ridge is relatively windswept and generally avoids slopes of sufficient steepness to slide. I have seen the above-treeline portions snowfree while the sides are still deep; on the other hand, in mid-December, I have stepped to the side of the trail (to examine balsam cones) and fallen in over my head.

Remember that any snowfield big enough to recreate on is big enough to slide. Also remember that winter survival factors other than avalanches (weather, ice, slides for life) may also come into play.

What's your projected route plan? Up Boott and back down what?

Todd

edit to add just to be sure: Watch the avalanche forecast!!! It's a moderate today -- "Natural avalanches are unlikely and human triggered avalanches are possible. Unstable slabs are possible." -- which could result in a red light for me, depending on my experience and equipment -- but the current storm forecast is for increasing snow density which will increase short-term instability. Depending on how much it snows tonight and how the winds blow, I'd be prepared for "dramatic loading of both ravines". Note too that, "Until then the main concern with any new snow loading in later today is the hard icy surface in many areas. Expect the bonding at the old-new interface to be less than ideal. Due to variable conditions do frequent stability tests and don't be happy with one set of results."

Last edited:
kasym said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into those tonight. I guess two more questions that comes to mind is if hunting is allowed in pinkham notch and how is the boott spur trail avalanche wise when the danger is high in Tucks?

thanks

el bagr knows his stuff - but I will add my thoughts.

if your hiking in the the mt washington area (the normal trails) I don't think you really need to worry about getting shot at - if thats what your getting at. If you want to hunt - then can't help you there. don't know the regs

ava danger on boot spur trail - you should be ok if you stick to the trail - there are a couple of sections I am thinking of - that I guess could slide - but I don't think it will be too much of an issue this weekend. tucks headwall is another story - boots spur link is typically a safe route as well - but again - it could slide.

check the conditons at pinkham that monring -

Thanks guys, good info to have. The plan we had in mind was to go up Tucks, but due to it being possibly unsafe, we were thinkin of going up boott spur and down lion's head, or maybe up and down boott spur, depending on time and conditions. Also, I looked at Barnes field, and the site for it says:

Open from May 20, 2005 to Oct 09, 2005

Open year-round.

that doesn't make sense. Do you need reservations there at this time of year or is it more first come first serve? Is it even open? I dont want to get all the way up there fri nite and not be able to stay there and have to drive back south somewhere to camp for the night.

Thanks

Kasym -- Barnes Field is open for camping year round. I've only been there in winter and would assume that after Oct. 10 the winter rules apply. In winter, there is a kiosk where you can self-register for a site.

I know you can make reservations there between the May & October dates you have listed above... not sure if that ends for winter or not. You could try going on reserveamerica and attempting to make a reservation... if that doesn't work, it's probably self-serve at this point.

Not sure I was particularly helpful, but I tried!

- Ivy

Thats actually very helpful. I did call reserve america, and I could not make a reservation. They didn't know why though.....was it closed, not 7 days in advance etc. I did not know about the winter self serv mode though, so I guess I'll hope that theres still a site open friday night.

Thanks!

kasym said:
Thats actually very helpful. I did call reserve america, and I could not make a reservation. They didn't know why though.....was it closed, not 7 days in advance etc. I did not know about the winter self serv mode though, so I guess I'll hope that theres still a site open friday night.

Thanks!

I wouldn't lose sleep over this - you will get a spot.

Just a note: Cherry mountain road was closed and gated last Sunday.