Camping near Whiteface Mt, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metacomet

Reaction score
Camping near Whiteface Mt, NH ?

Are there adequate places to camp near the Ferncroft parking area that are not too far of a hike in, and 1/4 mile off of the trail ? Not sure about private property and/or flat terrain. Thanks for help.
-Metacomet

Last edited:
I don't know of specific places to camp, but I do know that the trails all start out on private property. The only two I've been up are Blueberry ledge and Diceys Mill and are about a half mile maybe until you reach National Forest land.

Both start out rather gentle, you may be able to find a flat place in there somewhere to pitch a tent.

It looks like the first 1/2 mile of the Wonolancet and Dicey Mill trails are on private land. Most other trails go very quickly into NF land, but Blueberry Ledge quickly becomes Wilderness Area, and you'll need to go 200' from the trail there. In general, you need to be 1/4 mile from the trailhead as well.

There is plenty of level ground in that area.

-dave-

We found a nice flat spot on the ledges not far from the summit with great views of the Lakes. It was a hot humid day with mosquitos and blackflies but the strong breeze on the ledges swept them away from our tentsite. The strong breezes posed a slight problem in that being all rock, there was nothing in which to stake the tents. We improvised and managed to cling to the mountain for a very memorable trip.