Camping on Downes Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
I'm wondering about possible places to pitch a small tent along Downes Brook trail. The higher up the better. The plan is to hike in and set up camp then on the two following days do dayhikes from camp to Tri's via Sleepers one day and Whiteface/Passc the next returning to camp each night. The basecamp and dayhike method is the wife's preferred method and if I want her to keep coming I need to plan accordingly. Any suggestions regarding this area and these peaks is appreciated. Also, when the Kate Sleeper trail enters the south slide how steep is this? Problem for dogs? Thanks in advance.

I still have to do that trail, but judging by the others in the area, you should be all right.

The higher up it does get a bit thick, but I have camped on a couple of parallel trails without a problem. The trails in the area are fairly simple, so I wouldn't expect issues for dogs.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more precise info....

There is supposedly good camping options near the junction of Downes Brook and Kate Sleeper, with water close by.

The Sleeper trail comes in fairly high on the south slide, I don't think most dogs would have a problem with the remaining portion of the slide.

-dave-

Thanks dug and Dave! Sounds like my plan will work. Any more input is always welcome.

I'll agree with Dave, but will add that there is another slide on the Kate Sleeper trail just before the South Slide (SouthEast slide maybe?) that is a bit steeper. I still don't think a dog would have much issues on that one either though There is good footing- no slabs.

Last month we hiked up Whiteface then over to South Trypiramid via the Sleeper trail. We agree with the previous posts that there are some good spots to camp around the intersection with Downes Brook. The trail up to South Try has a couple of slides that are steep but should be doable by most dogs. There are a couple of pics of the slides towards the end of our trip report:
http://rbhayes.net/sleeper.html