cannon 1/28/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 1/28/11

trails: kinsman ridge trail, rim trail

conditions: good packed snowshoe track down low. evidence of skiers coming down winding eroded section. once in glades it's packed by skis/snowboards with no discernible snowshoe track (though plenty of blazes) until trail leaves glades. nice snowshoe track through there with a slightly looser base, but once at side trail to outlook it is once again ski packed. i missed the left turn to head up to the rim trail and just stayed on ski packed track until it met upper ski trail just below the summit. leaving summit i followed the rim trail which was heavily drifted and didn't seem recently used and then tried to follow kinsman ridge trail down from it's junction. stayed with it for a bit, but soon just made a bee line for my tracks lower down. that open section is pretty heavily drifted and would certainly be hard to traverse with low visibility. the ski route is probably easier to follow than the last bit of the trail up to the rim junction. steps on the tower were drifted over enough to snowshoe up and down.

equipment: snowshoes. could use light traction down low, but once out of the glades snowshoes are the best bet particularly given how prone the area below the summit is to drifting in.

comments: nice hike up cannon. great views and beautiful snow laden woods. the rim trail was real neat with its big wind packed drifts. nice day to be hiking.

bryan

[email protected]