Cannon hike and ski 11/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbcbd

Reaction score
So...

On my way to the North country...
...my car dies and is not starting up again. Somehow I end up at an ex-girlfriend's place with my disabled car. Since during our relationship I was regularly and rightfully in the dog house, her family was giving off some bad vibes and looks while her gruff eastern bloc mechanic relative kept shouting at me about what was wrong with my car like I did something to break it. But at least Sigourney Weaver, who also happens to be related to her, greated me with a warm understanding hug.
But still, my car was stuck there and the mountains were waiting! AND I also found out that my side mirror was completely ripped off! Ugh...

Anyway, I woke up in my working car relieved that everything was fine and that after that all-too-realistic nightmare there was nothing worse that could happen during my day - which was a comforting thought.

Cannon
Lazy start and driving on 118 I get excited at the sight of snow. Coming up to a snowing Franconia notch and I decide to get on Cannon for the first turns of the season.

Saw some skiers from the highway and yep, people had been getting the goods. Met Roger and his friend at the lot and they gave me some tips on where to go and we skied Zoomer and Gary's .
We parted ways and I headed up towards the summit to catch the views and snow. Followed some skin tracks and enjoyed the 1 1/2 foot drifts to the top of the tram . From all the tracks up there, it was a pretty busy place after the snows:

Fox? Yeti? Stabilicers?
Moose? Audi Quattro? Microspikes?

Headed up to the platform in a nice wintry trail and hung out there a bit in a windless summit. The ridge a little cloudy but Lafayette seemed to have stayed in the clouds most of the day.Views were limited.

Fingers getting numb, I clicked in and followed some tracks down. Lots of soft snow but still rocky at spots.

Went back to Gary's and then finished off with two more runs enjoying the sun setting on Lafayette . Finished last run on dwindling light and headed to Lincoln for a Big & Tasty, which was tasty but not as big as I imagined. And who do I see there? None other than MarcHowes, having just come down from Scar Ridge with hands shaking as he was refueling after an 11 hour epic... classic.

Great day, winter is here!

Doug

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
But still, my car was stuck there and the mountains were waiting! AND I also found out that my side mirror was completely ripped off! Ugh...

Anyway, I woke up in my working car and after that all too realistic nightmare..
Is it just me, or does there seem to be some vital info missing between Ugh... and Anyway...?

Chip said:
Is it just me, or does there seem to be some vital info missing between Ugh... and Anyway...?
Nah, just woke up then... good thing it didn't keep going on, what an uncomfortable situation. :cool:

Jay H said:
the footprint with the criss cross pattern looks like Yaktrax which I think are like that shape.
http://www.yaktrax.com
Nah, I checked them up close and could see the chain pattern vs the wound wires of the yaktrax. Plus, if you look closelier you can see the tiny holes left by the spikes in the Kahtoolas. An elderly eskimo tracker was nearby and confirmed my sighting.