Cannon, Kinsman, Moosilauke info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotzman

Reaction score
I am considering a trip to the Whites in the beginning of March and being from NY and the majority of my hiking in the 'dacks am looking for some info/suggestions on the potential mountains, trails etc. Most liking driving over early on a Sat, hiking, spending the night, hiking again on Sun and headed back that night. The four mountains being batted around are Cannon, North and South Kinsman and Moosilauke. Any thoughts on best trails, directions to tackle them and a cheap place to spend the night?
Thanks,
Scotzman

I like the Kinsmans as an out and back using the Mt Kinsman Trail, the approach from the west.

A traverse of the Kinsmans and Cannon is possible, but the section of The Kinsman Ridge Trail over the Cannonballs is not usually broken out in winter.

The Benton Trail to Moose is my favorite but it doesn't see much winter use.

Beaver Brook Trail to Moose will give you a nice ADK style challenge. ;-) The Assquam
ridge Trail is a nice one, too.

As for Cannon, The Kinsman Ridge Trail is a steep and quick way up, with a gorgeous view of Franconia Ridge from a large ledge near 4000 ft (?)

Happy Trails!

What Sabrina said, with a comment re: Moosilauke - I like the Glencliff, especially in winter, as the trailhead is plowed out regularly, and the trail sees lots of use. The amount of exposure above treeline is a bit less than some of the others, too.

Well if you are pressed for time due to traveling (though most likely you could make the time up by hiking quickly as usual!!), Cannon via the KRT would be a nice one to start off with, stay in the North Lincoln/Woodstock area and then on your return to NY hit Moosilauke via the Glencliff Trail. You can get there via Rt. 118 to Rt. 25 (bumpy they say with frost heaves)..or hit the Kinsmans, as Sabrina and Kevin say, your first day and Moosilauke the second day..then your next trip, travel over, do Cannon the first day the the Franconia Ridge the second day!! There are plenty of lodging options but I have stayed at the Franconia Notch Motel a few times and found it clean, affordable, and with a microwave and fridge (check to be sure) and just a few minutes to all trailheads (Rt. 112 for Beaver Brook)..have fun if you do it!! Lefty E

I sure tried to pick up as many peaks as I could when I was making the drive to the Adirondacks - so if maxing the peakbagging:driving ratio is one of your intended goals for this trip--I suggest the five mile round trip of Cannon via Kinsman Ridge (steep and icy) with an early start then head over to the Moose via Glencliff (well travelled trail and minimal above treeline as Kevin pointed out) - there is nearly 12 hours daylight now so if you are strong (2 mph average overall inc breaks) you can probably get these peaks done without pulling out your headlamp.
Then hit the Kinsmans the next day.

Parker's in North Lincoln is okay, Pemi Cabins in N Lincoln are very cute and pet friendly. I have stayed in the cabins and in thier one motel style room - nice and clean and have kitchenettes. They require 2 nights' stay. Parker's usually has vacancy, not as nice as Pemi but hiker friendly.

With the lack of snow for snowmobiles this year you are likely to find plenty of vacancy.

If you have a third day Liberty and Flume
Via Liberty Springs out and back would be easy to add from a N Lincoln location.

Happy Trails!

PS the blue gas station/general store in Woodstock has amazing steak and cheese subs ;-)