Cannon Mountain - Environmental Damage, Hiking Prohibition, and SB217

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the indication that this is a permanant closure? Is it possible that the closure is temporary until the damaged is repaired. Is it also possible that the closure is in order to stop any increased damage by foot travel? Also with the latest hearing has Cannon Mountain not agreed to further discussion going forward on foot travel?
The entire Cannon Mountain ski area has long been closed to foot traffic. The Mittersill area is now officially part of Cannon Mountain ski area.

DRED has indicated they're open to the idea of a hiking corridor, but at this time, hiking is still prohibited.

There is something unique about Mt Mittersill--the '30's era Tucker Brook Tr (ungroomed backcountry ski trail) leaves from the top of Mt Mittersill. The closure looks like it may block top access.

See http://www.telemarktips.com/GoodmanFeature.html, http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/web/backcountry-gem.cfm, and/or http://www.amazon.com/Best-Backcountry-Skiing-Northeast-Classic/dp/1934028142

Doug

Indeed, it does affect the top of Tucker Brook Trail. It was not part of the Cannon ski area until recently, as much of Mittersill was WMNF until the landswap with the state.

Mittersill has long been a popular backcountry destination. The Mittersill lift has not operated this year and no one (outside of employees and friends of employees) has been allowed to skin up or ski down Mittersill either.

I don't think the contractor (Doppelmayr) is to blame.
What I meant is that whatever contractor caused the damage should fix it at no added expense :)

If the damage was caused by an unknown party such as a rogue 4wd, then perhaps the vitriol against the ski area should be toned down.

What I meant is that whatever contractor caused the damage should fix it at no added expense :)

If the damage was caused by an unknown party such as a rogue 4wd, then perhaps the vitriol against the ski area should be toned down.

There were no accusations of damage caused by contractors or rogue 4WDs at the hearing last week when the issue was discussed. The damage appears to have been caused by ski area (state) machinery, and the continued tracks leading from the main ski area (above the chairlift) suggest that as well. Hikers and contractors are not the issue.

There is something unique about Mt Mittersill--the '30's era Tucker Brook Tr (ungroomed backcountry ski trail) leaves from the top of Mt Mittersill. The closure looks like it may block top access.
If the trail I followed from Coppermine area was actually TB, it hits the Taft well below its high point at the bump - otherwise you could access the bump by TB.

If the trail I followed from Coppermine area was actually TB, it hits the Taft well below its high point at the bump - otherwise you could access the bump by TB.

The Tucker Brook Trail indeed reaches the Taft Trail below Mittersill Peak.

Cannon Mountain CCC Ski Trails - NewEnglandSkiHistory.com

If the prohibition is to be taken at face value, one cannot hike or skin up to Mittersill Peak without a lift ticket (and with a lift ticket, one would not be able to access it without the risk of losing their lift ticket, as the Mittersill area has been closed to skiers/snowboarders all season thus far).

Last edited:

"*2 New Section; Towns and Cities; Prohibition Added. Amend RSA 31 by inserting after section 8-a the following new section:
31:8-b International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives; Contracts; Expenditures Prohibited. No town or city shall implement programs of, expend any sum for, be a member of, receive funding from, contract for services from, or give financial or other forms of aid to the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI), and its derivatives, in furtherance of the United Nations program known as Agenda 21.
*3 New Section; State Budget; Prohibition Added. Amend RSA 9 by inserting after section 28 the following new section:
9:29 International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives; Contracts; Expenditures Prohibited. No agency or department of the state shall implement programs of, expend any sum for, be a member of, receive funding from, contract for services from, or give financial or other forms of aid to the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI), and its derivatives, in furtherance of the United Nations program known as Agenda 21.
*4 New Section; Counties; Prohibition Added. Amend RSA 23 by inserting after section 1-a the following new section:
23:1-b International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives; Contracts; Expenditures Prohibited. No county nor any department thereof shall implement programs of, expend any sum for, be a member of, receive funding from, contract for services from, or give financial or other forms of aid to the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI), and its derivatives, in furtherance of the United Nations program known as Agenda 21."

Hmm, does that mean they can't send the black helicopters to rescue me if I get lost on the new Mittersill trail?

Hmm, does that mean they can't send the black helicopters to rescue me if I get lost on the new Mittersill trail?

It was an unrelated amendment that ended up killing the bill.

Meanwhile, as of the end of June, no new erosion mitigation at taken place on Mittersill. And, significant cutting damage was reported in the Bicknell's Thrush protection area this spring.

If the phone doesn't ring, you'll know it's Cannon's management.