Cannon- well almost anyway!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
I hadn't hiked Cannon since July'03, so it is on my return list for this year. I woke up determined to hike today, despite the constant rain. I'd cleared the honey do list yesterday :) and packed up last night. At 9:00 AM I was headed up north knowing that the rain would stop and the day clear and all would be well! As I drove the rain didn't stop, only became heavier and heavier, then it would stop to nothing, then a downpour with bad visibility, and that continued that way all the way up to Ashland, where I desperately needed a Dunkins. As it happens, the rain stopped at DD's.........I fely very hopeful.

As I headed into the Notch it was pouring. And didn't stop. I had planned to take the Kinsman Ridge trail, but diverted to the ski trails instead, at least if the rain stopped I'd have better views. As I pulled into the very deserted ski lot, I quickly switched into rain gear and boots, grabbed my pack and began heading to the Ski Lodge. After checking the map for the best route I headed up, and it poured and poured and poured. But it was going to get better- it had to. I continued to slog up the ski trail, with bad visibilty and hreavy rain. I also spied a big patch of snow off to the left....... :confused: (Its almost Memorial day- I think).

At about the 1/2 way point I'd had enough. It was raining heavier, my rain gear was not too rain protective today, the temp had dropped to 44 degrees, a strong wind was blowing, and the cloud base descended down (or I climbed into it), dropping visibility to near zero. At this point I was no longer very optimistic, nor did I want to be a hypothermia candidate. So I turned back, only the 3rd time I've had to do that on a 4K hike.

On the way down near the base I decided it was time to play and went looking for that big patch of snow....... :D I tried to make a snow angel (yep) but the snow was too hard, crunchy and nasty! I settled for some pics of me standing in a field of snow in late May instead! :p

Then I headed down and changed and headed home..... There is always another time. :) Pics will follow at some point!

Oh yes, I need to thank the Cannon folks for leaving that big party tent up, my car fit in it and I was able to change into dry clothes on dry ground for the ride home! ;)

Last edited:
gotta admire a trip report for an attempt like that. i hiked oak hill in concord today and it poured. Congrats to you for getting out and giving it a try. Good idea to turn around to hike another day. Sounds like you forgot your skis too

amstony said:
I woke up determined to hike today, despite the constant rain... the rain didn't stop, only became heavier and heavier, then it would stop to nothing, then a downpour with bad visibility, and that continued and it poured and poured and poured... It was raining heavier, my rain gear was not too rain protective today...
Boy, amstony, you said it. If I were to write a trip report for my hike from Hurricane Mountain Road over Black Cap to Peaked and back to our condo by Thompson Road. I would have copied your words above exactly. By the time I got to Peaked, I skipped the .2 mile spur to the summit, partly ran the downhills back, and made a good cup of hot cocoa as soon as I got in the door and out of my sopping wet clothes. Thanks for posting. It was a fun read.

Today was a miserable day :(

I stayed home most of the day, went for a short walk along Rt 175 to get some exercise after the rain stopped (around 6 PM). Being retired, of course, I plan to do a lot of hiking next week when the sun finally comes out :D :D

Gee, at the lacrosse field near the ocean it wasn't raining at all, just misting a little from time to time. :p :D

Of course, I wasn't hiking, either. :( :mad:

Plenty of smart rain hikers around here--none of you ended up hypothermic and you all had a good time (more or less!).