Cannon: you may fire when ready sir!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Today I want to mourn the loss of another year and rejoice in the making of another. Who knows what it will bring, but that’s pretty relative to the paths and experiences we live as hikers. VFTT is a serious gathering of people who go beyond casual to those who know the everything of everything of the ways of the woods.

William Penn wrote also on an idea that really reaches deeply into how I see the turning of time in the attainment of life eternal. For Death is no more than a Turning of us over from Time to Eternity. Nor can there be a Revolution without it; for it supposes the Dissolution of one form, in order to the Succession of another.

How does that relate to hiking? We see it in the woods from the passages of nature, life and death, cruel and beautiful isolation. Think of the land above treeline and how unravished it appears to us. We see life and nature combined as a silent testament to something greater than pure random. One poet I know aptly calls his body of poems, the “Cycle” simply due to the fact he writes on a cycle based theme of these topics. I also think of how lives are lost in the woods, personally and interactively. When I look back to the accumulation of months ago of a rescue out of Tuckerman Ravine and two years ago, life was yielded for Elysium in Ray Loring’s life.

So this New Year’s Day, it was time to remember the dissolution and succession of another year. The turnover from different stages into another was borne on my mind writing this reflection before going out to climb Cannon with Marty and Eric.

Ever since losing Ray, going out with Marty and communing with Eric, was optimal way to memorialize these abstractions and reflections that are so chiseled on my mind. But as one king said, there is a time for all things and in which I beg to not discredit the memories made on the mountain.

We missed having Eric along with us as we climbed up the slope. For a two mile jaunt uphill was a little taxing in the snow. But the weather was too perfect, warm, and even windless above treeline. After making gear adjustments and telelevating the snow shoes for a couple of pitches we were not deterred.

I really like this trail for the winter in comparison to Hi Cannon simply due to the ladder. Well I think it would be hairy to have the edge so near, call it vertigo…

As we climbed further at our rapid ascent we noted the presence of what looked like epic ski trails, steep inclines with lots of trees. I told Marty that it certainly meets the criteria for a triple black diamond. I was sucked into a slush hole and made it out. Truthfully it was worth the excitement as I tried to get myself out. It definitely beats nursing a hangover from the previous night.

Once we came to the two mile marker we were baffled and mislead by the Rim Trail. We had to turn around from the ski trail and went to the right direction. Thus, my reader take heed and make a left and keep going straight.

The views were socked in, but that really did not upset us. Once we made it to the top we ate briefly and headed down. The descent was a fast pace which pleased the book time factor in. Then as we were leaving we felt the warmth through the notch and the views became apparent as we returned to the car.

A climb well needed and a good celebration of welcoming 2011.

Hey Clarke,

great hiking with you once again, sir. Yes, your walking into that slush pond was a site to behold. Besides that, it was a short, simple and sweet hike. Nice that there was not a soul on the trail. :cool: We must have just missed Chris, who did a TC post for an afternoon hike.

One warning to all hikers: after the next hard freeze, this trail could become quite icy until there is new snow. Glad we caught it on a day where there were no ice concerns.

Eric, sorry you were unable to join us. Hope you are feeling 100 percent today.

Looking forward to hiking with you again, Clarke.:)

Your friend,
Marty

Sounds like you and Marty had a great hike. Wish that I could have joined you. Hope to hit the trail with you soon. I really enjoy Cannon. Every time I do it it has more to the hike than I remember...more climb, more views, etc. Glad you two had a good one.