Canon DSLR shooters, need help.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewHampshire said:
Well, since PS Elements does not load RAW files I guess the decision has been made for me :eek: . So until I get my hands on a plugin its going to have to be JPEG.

Brian

The Software that comes with ALL Canon DSLR's will load, edit and process raws FWIW

Hey! I can’t help but notice that a lot of what has been discussed in this thread applies to Nikon DSLR use(rs), too.

Slightly different terminology, and buttons in different locations, etc., but what actually is done through the various controls is pretty much the same from one brand of gear to the next.

Just a thought …

G.

Edelweiss said:
After getting over the initial "kid in a candy shop" syndrome, I'm trying to tackle one project at a time - that is, what artistic effect am I looking for and how do I achieve it using the XTi's technology. Still overwhelming but I'm trying to approach things more deliberately.

Smart plan. Digital photography really lessens the learning curve. Back in the day when I taught myself to shoot with slide film I would go for a deliberate effect and I would keep a notebook and log the camera settings on every shot. Then I'd get the film processed and a week later I would sit down with a lightbox and a loupe and my notebook and try to figure out what settings did what in the photos. Now, with digital, you can shoot and that night sit at the pc and look at the exif data right next to your photo and see exactly what works and what doesn't. I wish I had that capability 12 years ago.

- darren

darren said:
Dave is correct. I just picked up another 2GB SanDisk Ultra II at CompUSA for $29 (good price for Hawaii). The Ultra II works as fast as my 20D does. no need for the Ultra IV....unless you have a new 1D III and are shooting at 10 fps RAW.

- darren
Must .... resist ... urge ... to ... buy ... new ... memory card! :eek:

:D

And Darren, I remember writing down all my settings for each Astrophoto I took back in the 80's! Wow, did I just say that?! :eek:

In any case, I was happy to get one decent shot per roll.

Darren-
Yes, I have that little notebook and analyze each photo I like and record the settings that work for that particular shot. I'm starting to see some patterns but still, the challenge is adapting settings to the unique circumstances of each scene. It's a slow but exciting process. I'm gradually seeing some improvement!
Joanne

darren said:
Smart plan. Digital photography really lessens the learning curve. Back in the day when I taught myself to shoot with slide film I would go for a deliberate effect and I would keep a notebook and log the camera settings on every shot. Then I'd get the film processed and a week later I would sit down with a lightbox and a loupe and my notebook and try to figure out what settings did what in the photos. Now, with digital, you can shoot and that night sit at the pc and look at the exif data right next to your photo and see exactly what works and what doesn't. I wish I had that capability 12 years ago.

- darren