Cape Cod Hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
Hi All, I just purchased a home on Cape Cod and was looking to see if anyone has hiked much there or had any suggestions for areas to hike on the Cape? I would more than likely take day trips but was interested also in hiking trails/areas that allow overnight camping? I was looking for anything, costal or inland.

I am also interested if anyone has any ideas for Kyak trips, day or overnight out on the Cape

Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Redwood

I think walk rather than hike is more the operative term...

There are a number of nice walks in the National Seashore http://www.nps.gov/caco/. One of my favorites is Atlantic White Cedar Swamp behind the Marconi site. Short, but very nice.

IIRC, the AMC Massachusetts guide lists some walks on the Cape.

Doug

Last edited:
hike(n): a long walk especially for pleasure or exercise (www.m-w.com)

Presumably then Redwood is looking for longer walks...

I can say this about the Cape -- The bike path is enjoyable by bike, off season anyway, and there is camping in Nickerson State Park. I suppose it is hike(walk)able as well.

Tim

At this point, the longest and coolest :p hike on the Cape starts at Chatham Light and heads south along South Beach.
The South-Way Channel recently closed and South Beach is now connected to South Monomoy Island
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking it is about nine and a half miles to Monomoy Light, one way
The Monomoy Islands are a National Wildlife Refuge and it's a very wild place with seals and many varieties of birds
http://www.fws.gov/northeast/monomoy/
An other place you might like is Great Island in Wellfleet
Not quite as wild as Monomoy but remote none the less
http://www.nps.gov/archive/caco/places/greatisland.html

As far as I'm concerned the best kayaking on the cape is at Pleasant Bay and Nauset Marsh
There's lots of access to both areas. The most popular for kayakers at Nauset is Hemmenway Landing...first right after the Eastham information kiosk on Rt 6

Last edited:
:rolleyes:
I don't know what I was thinkin'!
An even better kayak trip....
Park at the north end of the Morris Island Causeway in Chatham
Put in at Outermost Harbor just to the east.
Head south and circumnavigate North Monomoy Island
Higher tides are best because of the extensive sand flats on the west side of the island
The individual seals that you will run into are not dangerous, in fact young pups may want to play
You should avoid the large seal pods though. Bull seals can be very aggressive

Great Island in Wellfleet. GORGEOUS, remote and long--7 miles. As for kayaking, go to MONOMOY! Just be sure to watch the tides.

Folks, Great stuff!!!! All of these are "Must Do"!! I Like the kyak trip as well. As some of you may know, there are a ton of kettle ponds on the Cape to check out while paddling around in a kyak or canoe.

As far as "Cape Hikes" I know most anything out there are more walks than hikes but I hear the scenery and potential to get double digits makes a great day out work just fine. Keep the suggestions coming!!!!

Redwood
100/100

A nice beach walk we've done year round is a loop at South Cape Beach going along the beach in one direction and Waquoit Bay in the other direction. You may prefer to walk back along the beach with your back to the prevailing wind.

The visitors center of the Waquoit Bay Reserve, rt. 28 between Mahpee and Falmouth, should have good information on both hiking trails and paddles, one of my favorites being Washburn Island.

Sampson Island, a combination of private land and Mass Audubon sanctuary is a good circumnavigation out of Cotuit.

Many terrific paddles on the Cape. There are a couple guidebooks (e.g. Bull, Weinberg(?)) which are available at most outdoor stores. Your planning in many instances needs to consider the tides. I've been in much stronger currents than usually found on the Cape but the change in water level can sometimes result in very significant changes in route.